[BCAB] i phone

Ian Macrae ian.macrae at disabilitynow.org.uk
Wed Apr 13 15:19:04 BST 2011

Tim, I think the whole point for me is that other access solutions for other phones have to be bought at additional (and often quite significant) cost.  This cost is then partly duplicated when you want to change handsets.  Finally, by and large, bespoke access solutions failed to keep up with developments in functionality and in some cases this left us using handsets which were no longer supported or were regarded as obsolete by the original manufacturer.  What the iPhone offers is built-in optional accessibility at no extra cost and across all products.  For my money too, the apple Voiceover has proved more intuitive to learn and use.  As a Talks user for around seven years I never got to grips with it in totality and never fully had access to my handset's full functionality through it.  I would never go back now and, as I've said, I'm seriously considering leaving other bespoke computer access solutions behind too for similar and other reasons.

Ian Macrae
Editor
Disability Now
6 Market Road