[BCAB] remotely accessing a PC

Barry Toner barry at barry-toner.co.uk
Mon Apr 18 12:47:40 BST 2011

Hi,

Yusuf in short as far as I know this isn't possible in the way you are talking about without,

A.  A significant implimantation on your part.
That being setting up a VPN which will give you access to files and folders but IMHO not your desktop and the ability to run apps.
Or.  Setting up a Server (Like Windows Server 2008 R2), to sit between your two machines.

B.  Enough eye sight to use the likes of PC Anywhere, Go To My PC and Log Me in.

NB.  I have heard reports that some folks have used Log me In with Window Eyes and no eye sight, but it's not documented and I dont' know the people personally.  Perhaps someone on GWMICRO's list?

Window eyes/JAWS do allow remote access, but these are timed sessions that require the Screen Reader to be installed on both ends and for invitations to be sent/accepted.  Unless it's installed on a Server as I mentioned above.

Sucks being a blink with this kinda thing, as this is something i've always wanted to do.  now we have Remote Access in Window eyes but this still requires Window Eyes to be installed on each machine you want to access and for an invitation to be sent/accepted.

It's not ideal but if you simply want to access your files and dont 'mind downloading them you could use something like Dropbox which is limiting in-terms of capacity.  If you're wanting to access say your media files etc I can certainly help you set up an FTP server.

I would be thrilled to be corrected on any/all of this.

REegards,
barry.