[BCAB] Waitrose website

Léonie Watson tink at tink.co.uk
Mon Apr 18 21:20:37 BST 2011

The Waitrose website is one of those that lacks any kind of usable
structure. There are headings and lists, but they're only used for standard
blurb areas of each page such as "About us", "Our services" and the like.
When it comes to the task of shopping, there isn't a heading or list of note
to be found anywhere.

	This makes it difficult to know where in the hierarchy of aisles or
shelves you are, or indeed where you can go next. The products (when you get
that far) are not marked up as a table, or with headings, or any other
useful markup of any kind. It's back to using tab and/or the arrow keys to
navigate around.

	When trying to access product information, the site uses a tab
widget to show/hide content. If you don't know any better, the tab options
appear as plain text, and you're unaware they can be treated like links.
Several products I looked at didn't seem to have any usable product
information at all. I'm still not sure whether the information was
inaccessible, or whether it was just rubbish for everyone.

	There are text descriptions that are missing of course, plus
untitled frames and some kind of inaccessible Flash (although I have no idea
what). There are lots of links with unhelpful link text, and the skip link
has been hidden from everyone including screen reader users.

	Head over to waitrose.com and have a quick look around. It's close
to a par with Asda, another website that offers a pretty disgraceful user
experience IMHO. Oh well, back to Sainsburys for a much more enjoyable
shopping experience...

Léonie.