[BCAB] Websites - particularly Tesco

Clive.Lever at kent.gov.uk Clive.Lever at kent.gov.uk
Mon Feb 21 10:02:41 GMT 2011

Hello all,

my experience with the BBC website put me off using text-only sites.
More often than not, you'd follow the Text Only link  to get to a page
saying "Error -404 Not Found", or something similar. In the end, I also
found the mainstream site worked well enough with Jaws not to need me to
bother with the text only version.

2. In principle, I am uncomfortable with the idea of a "normal" website
which doesn't comply, and a "special" site which is designed for "all
you blindies". Making information available on the website should always
be part of the mainstream service.

3. I don't know whether there is still much of a danger of the text only
site getting out of step with the main site, but you should always be
able to have the same choice of products and special offers regardless
of your impairment. Therefore, if there is ever a danger of the main
site being the Tesco Superstore, whilst the accessible text site is
allowed to degenerate into a "Tesco Express" for blind people", I would
be against the idea every time.  These days, access to information
should be built-in, not bolted on after the event as a special case. So
let's have more mainstream sites that comply and render special access
sites redundant.

Best,
Clive

Clive Lever
Diversity Advisor
01622 221163 (extension 7000 1163) Room 1.15, Sessions House, County
Hall, Maidstone, ME14 1XQ.
Diversity is a strength and we will value and harness difference for the
benefit of all service users, the individual and KCC.