[BCAB] Technology reminiscence, was, Eureka!

Luke, GORDON (Capita SI) gordon.luke at capita.co.uk
Wed Feb 8 14:33:51 GMT 2012

Hi Jackie

I think it was called the Braille Writer and somewhere at the back of a
cupboard I may still have one.  Was never really sure what the small
printer was for.  It produced pieces of paper like those you get from
cash registers.

When I started in this computer game I had an Opus III with a mighty 4.7
MHz processor and a turbo button which increased its speed to 10 MHz.
Was never sure why you'd want it to run slower but the function was
there.  I think I had Hal v3 and the predecessor of Lunar called EGA
Soft Window.  The speech synthesiser was the one before Apollo but I
forget its name.  As I had more sight back then I managed to aquire a
screen enlarger called Vista made by Telelogic (I think).  To me it was
a fabulous piece of kit and never caused me any grief as the hardware
was doing the enlargement so had no latency both in DOS and Windows.
However it cost a bomb and never kept up with advances in graphics
technology so eventually was retired.

As with all things when we look back some of them were better but a lot
were just awful.

Cheers

Gordon Luke
Senior Systems Analyst
Systems Integration (L&P Applications & Testing)

Tel: 01732 429 044
Email: gordon.luke at capita.co.uk
Part of the Capita group www.capita.co.uk

P Think of the environment...please don't print this e-mail unless you
really need to.