[BCAB] Technology reminiscence, was, Eureka!

Jackie Cairns jackie.cairnsplace at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 13 15:06:20 GMT 2012

Hi Derek

Actually it was a clever idea.  We saw it once at an exhibition and decided
to buy the ISA board that you had to insert inside the machine.  Yes, I did
say ISA board, takes you back a bit for those who know them doesn't it?

You had to leave your machine on overnight or, as we did, set it to go on
with one of those Cobolt timers.  If you let it go on at about 2.00, the
Guardian came in, and all you had to do in the morning when you got up was
unzip the files.  The clever bit was that it put it into sections.  At the
time, it was brilliant.  Now, you just jump headings and read it, but the
concept of reading say Home News, or City News, or Sports News, etc, was
just amazing back then.

You are right Derek in that it was never a well marketed service.
Consequently, it was very expensive at about £695 or something ridiculous.

When Windows came out, they came up with a botched alternative of getting it
to work under the new DOS prompt, but it didn't work, so they had to abandon
the project altogether.

Kind Regards,

Jackie Cairns