[BCAB] A tip for those using Google.

tom.reid21 at virginmedia.com tom.reid21 at virginmedia.com
Thu Jun 7 19:10:49 BST 2012

Thanks, seems really useful.

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: bcab-bounces at lists.bcab.org.uk [mailto:bcab-bounces at lists.bcab.org.uk]
On Behalf Of Colin Howard
Sent: 07 June 2012 18:21
To: bcab at lists.bcab.org.uk
Subject: [BCAB] A tip for those using Google.

Greetings,

The text refers to google.com I have not tried it with google.co.uk but
can't believe it will not work, I do not know what system this guy is using,
I have Jaws V10 and windowsXP Home.

Maybe you all know about these, but if anybody has further similar tips on
using Google, please post them.

From: Dan Rossi <dr25 at ANDREW.CMU.EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 14:57:13 -0500

I forgot to mention, that if you actually want to go to the google home
page, and not have "google instant" on, you can create a favorite of:

www.google.com/search?complete=0

This will take you to the search page as if you had gone to www.google.com
then clicked on the "screen reader" link.

Also, if you click on the screen reader link, you can then see the options
link for setting your search preferences.

Lastly, there are a bunch of tokens, like the complete=0 that you can add to
the URL in your favorites.  For example, I prefer 20 hits per page, no
google instant, and open links in a new window.  For that, my favorite looks
like this:

http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&num=20&newwindow=1

Now, when I go to that URL, google instant is turned off, and when I search,
I get 20 results per page, and when I click on a result link it opens in a
new window.

Hope that is somewhat helpful for folks who want preferences, but don't want
to deal with the preferences page or cookies.

After some initial research and experimentation, I discovered the three
parameters of number of results, new window, and instant off.  After some
deeper research, I found the following page that has quite the list of
parameters.  Many of which I don't fully understand.  But it looks like you
could create pretty sophisticated searches just by using these parameters.

Here is a URL with the list:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pL7_j5QbTw-6JOwAx6VrPAg

--
Blue skies.
Dan Rossi
E-Mail:	dr25 at andrew.cmu.edu
Tel:	(412) 268-9081

Colin Howard, living near Southampton in Southern England.