[BCAB] CDex ripper

David Bailes david_bailes at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 12 11:55:23 BST 2012

Hi Jim,
this is a rough outline of how to use CDex. I think there was a BCAB training day which included CDex, so maybe there are some notes floating around this list from that day.

Once you've adjusted one or two settings, as described below, then to rip a cd to a compressed file format, like mp3.
1. Put a cd in the drive.
2. In the list view in CDex, select the tracks you want to rip.
3. On the Convert menu, choose Extract CD track(s) to a Compressed Audio file (F9).

Settings.
To open the CDex configuration dialog, on the Options menu choose settings (F4).
The dialog contains a page tree, and the controls for the page which is selected in the page tree. After you've selected the page you want in the page tree, you can then tab to the controls for the settings for that page.
These are the pages which contains some of the important settings:
1. The directories and files page, which is in the general group in the tree. There's an Ouput filename format and directories Recorded Tracks read-only edit box. This contains the root folder where your ripped tracks will be saved. If you need to change this, press Enter, and a Browse for folder dialog opens, allowing you to choose a different folder.
2. The Encoders page, which is in the Encoding group in the tree. There's an Encoder combo box, and if you want to rip to MP3, this should be set to use the LAME MP3 Encoder. Unfortunately, Jaws reads this as another Thread priority combo box. There is a real thread priority combo box which by default is set to normal, and the following control is the Encoder combo box, which Jaws misreads as another thread priority combo box.
3. The remote freedb page, which is in the CD Database group in the tree. There's a your E-mail address edit box, which must contain an email address. Following this, there are three check boxes. The use proxy and Authentication check boxes should not be checked, but it's convenient to check the Auto connect to remote freedb check box. When this last check box is checked, then CDex automatically gets the cd info when you put a CD in the drive.

Note of warning.
If you uninstall CDex, then it seems to also remove the shortcuts to some other programs from the start menu.

David.