[BCAB] ACCESSIBLE KINDLE SOFTWARE FOR THE PC

Olaf Drümmer olaflist at callassoftware.com
Mon Jun 25 19:27:00 BST 2012

It seems neglect of accessibility needs strikes back - 35000 unit Kindle Touch deal worth possibly over 16.5 million US dollars for Amazon from U.S. Department of State for the English Access Microscholarship Program at risk, because Kindle Touch is not accessible (as for example required by section 508). This seems to go back to a letter from the National Federation of the Blind in the US sent to the U.S. Department of State / Hillary Clinton on June 18, 2012 - summarizing their position as  "The procurement of inaccessible Kindle e-readers by the United States is a violation of Section 508."  (cf. http://www.scribd.com/doc/97451466/Mauer2clinton-Nfb )

Maybe this could trigger a useful learning process?

Olaf