[BCAB] windows 8 and other opperating systems

Jackie Cairns jackie.cairnsplace at btinternet.com
Wed Jun 27 09:27:34 BST 2012

It is really interesting to read the various viewpoints coming into this
thread.  I must admit that I have been using Windows 7 daily now for about a
year, though I already had it on my backup laptop for a year prior to
persistent use.  I went from XP to Vista some time ago, not through choice,
but because it was what you got when purchasing a laptop at that time.  But
I was able to make it like XP, which you can't do on Windows 7 in the true
sense.

I find it pretty robust, less sluggish than Vista, (which I've decided was
really horrible anyway), and does the jobs I require.

I agree Tris that, wherever possible, it would be a good idea to learn
Windows 7, but only if you need to upgrade.  Hanging on for Windows 8
doesn't seem very encouraging to me from what people are saying.  And if
support for 7 continues for a while, then I for one will be staying put.  In
any case, it's always better to let the new OS settle before jumping in
given Microsoft's bugs and Service Pack updates after only months of
release.

Personally, I do use my iMac, but more for iTunes than anything else.  It is
a very steep learning curve, yet nice to have VoiceOver already there.

Louise, it is worth noting that there is a Windows 7 Explained book
available from RNIB if you want to get a feel for what it is like.

Kind Regards,

Jackie Cairns