[BCAB] increasing the security benchmark score on my HP desktop.

M Lakhani muzz.lakhani at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 17 17:42:24 BST 2013

You're welcome alexander :)
Ok here's a non-exhaustive list of the advantages of periodically clearing out the browser cache. Personally they make sense for everyone :
Your overall browsing security is increased
You receive less threat from malware that spies on your browsing preferences
Websites with frequent updates like news sites render the most recent version each time
You get less of those annoying & often inaccessible targeted adverts
You protect yourself from search history based malware
Browser updates render earlier
Protection against location based attacks
Improved screen reader performance since screen refresh & focus loss issues are reduced by up to 20% according to benchmark tests I ran with jaws & NVDA
Less power consumption on average

I've based my list on control experiments where I'm not able to find concrete references. Of course, caching was introduced to speed up routine browsing tasks, but with faster & faster network speeds, much much powerful hardware specs in even rudimentary hardware, plus the advent of better techniques for web development, don't seem to make much difference in speeds, even on my ultra secure network requiring 4 stage verification via a root certificate. Now I don't wish to advocate that you spend your time constantly clearing out your cache, but there's a balance for sure. I tend to do it every week or so, but this is one of those personal preferences, just like clean ups, virus checks, updates to the system & so on. However, it should aid in the network security scores on any system reports, which was your original query! Just for completeness, if you're worried about losing important articles or reference links after browser cache clear out, then try using the bookmarking features, or better yet, use something like instapaper or pocket to secure & hide your history, & even gain the ability to read those links offline or on a phone/tablet on the go!

You also asked about password storage on your machine. I personally don't recommend anyone to store them on a browser or any other unsecured medium, especially for people whose machines are used by others. This is paramount for sensitive details such as info about online banking. If you're like me & have a problem remembering so many passwords, you can use a secure password database like KeyPass or Password Safe. The latter is pretty accessible too:
Read this link for details:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-keep-your-passwords-safe.htm

HTH
Muzz