[BCAB] Braille display question

Nick.Adamson at generaldynamics.uk.com Nick.Adamson at generaldynamics.uk.com
Mon Feb 4 07:38:12 GMT 2013

Hi Steve.

I'd be really surprised if it's as simple as sending characters down the serial line. My guess is there's some sort of proprietary FS protocol going on and some sort of hand shake. Also in my experience you're more likely going to have to control each of the pins in turn.

The easiest way I've found to drive a braille display is by using the Sam SDK produced by Dolphin Computer Access, www.yourdolphin.com. If you contact them, describe the project that you want to use it for they can provide the SDK. This is what I used to produce my game for braille displays. It also supports well over 20 different makes and models of display, I guess about 95% of the displays on the market.

This SDK has functions to be able to control each dot directly or has a way of translating a string of characters in to braille.

Shout if I can help with any more info.
Thanks.
Nick.