[BCAB] microsoft surface

Léonie Watson tink at tink.co.uk
Sat Feb 16 14:22:51 GMT 2013

I've had a quick play with a Surface and think it has a lot to offer. I
wouldn't consider the Surface as a replacement for a tablet, but I do think
it's a possible replacement for my laptop though.

The Surface has a good sized keyboard (like a laptop it's roughly equivalent
to the screen size, and folds shut in a similar way).

The Surface RT has 32Gb of storage and the Pro has 64Gb as standard,
compared to the iPad4 which has 16Gb at entry level (rising to 64Gb in the
more expensive versions). This is somewhat less than a laptop, but if you
use Cloud storage 64Gb is ok.

The Surface also has a Micro SD card slot for further expansion, and full
USB support.

The Surface RT weighs about 670g and the Pro about 900g, compared to the
iPad4 at about 665g and a netbook at around 1.1Kg on average.

The Surface has a 10" screen, compared to the iPad4 at 9.7". The Surface is
a touch thicker (about 1.5cm compared to the iPad4 at 1cm or so). As with
the weight, the keyboard is likely to be a factor. Screen resolution is
better on the iPad4, more markedly so when comparing it to the Surface Pro
as opposed to the RT.

The killer question is really access. Narrator works ok with the touch
screen, but it's still a bit awkward when using the keyboard. Jaws, Window
Eyes and NVDA all support Windows 8 and can be installed on the Surface Pro,
but we're at that usual point with a new OS where support is good in some
places and not so good in others. Those good/bad places differ between each
screen reader.

Léonie.
--
Léonie.