[BCAB] Pen Friend question

Prouse, Mark Mark.Prouse at rnib.org.uk
Sun May 5 12:30:24 BST 2013

Ian/Ruth,

It's because recordings are stored on the unit, not the labels, and the labels trigger the recordings according to their code, that the packs need to be alphabetised like this.  For instance, if you got a Pack A and used Label A1 to mark some baked beans, but then got a second pack A and this time used A1 with the same Penfriend to label your Pending file, your baked beans will be announced as Pending - the unit stores the most recent recording made against each code, overwriting any previous one.  This means it's essential to know which series you've already used.  It's also important to bear this in mind if you have more than one Penfriend, because the label starter pack in the box is always in the same series.  When you order from the Helpline they can check which packs you've already had.

Mark