[BCAB] WHAT FORMAT TO USE INSTEAD OF PDF FOR MATERIAL DOWNLOADED FROM THE NET?

Richard Godfrey-McKay lists.godfrey-mckay at virginmedia.com
Tue May 7 18:07:31 BST 2013

Hi, I'm currently discussing, with a party responsible for provision of a
lot of material to be downloaded from the web, what format is most suitable
for blind and partially-sighted people.

My own experience is that, whatever Adobe say about accessibility, many PDF
files are not properly coded, so that they often turn out to be a bit of a
nightmare - particularly if they try to produce forms for completion or have
tables.

My own preference would be for HTML, which is what the UK Government
legislation site uses, and which I have always found to work well.

I think I've decided that I don't favour Word, both because, if the file is
complicated and has lots of large tables etc, it often isn't prepared very
well, and again, people don't realise what's required, and forms are rarely
constructed properly.

I'd welcome some thoughts as to whether my conclusions are broadly
acceptable as quickly as possible please.

With many thanks,
 Richard

Richard Godfrey-McKay

Telephone: 01738-445 880