[BCAB] a bit OT, but???

M Lakhani muzz.lakhani at googlemail.com
Wed May 15 22:41:20 BST 2013

Ok I'll bring it back to the topic - sorry guys :)
In my experience as a qualified fitness trainer , I can easily say the following :
A lot of automatic machines with some sort of control screens are not accessible to people with no or limited vision!
The problem with machines like treadmills based on the above is compounded by safety issues& have resulted in horrible accidents when I worked for a gym!
A lot of new machines are increasingly incorporating touch screens with no zoom or tts - they could however  play audio & video from TV or online.
Even a lot of machines with old school physical buttons with bump ons or tactimark aids have no tts or zoom, so no chance of measuring performance for the purposes of either following a training program , managing a medical condition, injury recovery, or even competition based training !
In order to accomplish the above tasks, one would have to rely on sighted help!
I've not even mentioned servicing or fixing here!

Therefore , in line with the BCAB rules, my question is this:
Has anyone encountered a machine (type & brand) that a blind person can use without any sighted assistance without having to use their manual counterparts?

Please contribute && keep it relevant :)

HTH
Muzz

Sent from my iPhone