[BCAB] Office versions

M Lakhani muzz.lakhani at googlemail.com
Sat May 18 04:07:01 BST 2013

I've used office enterprise 2007 & 2010 for quite a while with jaws , zoomtext & NVDA without any problems ! Apart from Access, the program's are accessible , once you get the hang of ribbons ! Essentially the ribbons are just like items on the top  menu! Press Alt to go to the ribbons ! The menus are divided into tabs, & it's the arrow keys to move between tabs left or right! To go to an item on a tab, press the down key, then left & right keys again...& so on!  Use the up arrow key to go to the previous level, & the Alt or Esc to exit the ribbons! You use Alt+f to go to the file menu, & alt+e, alt+I etc also work, but this isn't obvious at first, & isn't needed much if you're familiar with ribbons & the keyboard shortcuts to your access tech!  Seriously I actually prefer it over 2003 now once I got the hang of it!
You get sharper colours, templates, macros, plus more layouts, better options to make your document more accessible , better support for PDF conversion of word , excel , PowerPoint etc, plus the ability to have better support for newer Braille displays! You also get the option to install third party plug ins for additional functionality in academic or business settings, more document collaboration services, & your documents are even rendered better when you send it to someone on a smart phone or tablet! It also means that when someone sends you a document from a newer version of office, you're able to render its contents painlessly without the need to use time consuming or complicated work arounds that may either be inherently inaccessible or compromise document security / integrity! Speaking of security , the later versions are definitely better hands down, & document recovery is also smarter!
If you're on Windows 7, office 2007 & 2010 both work! For Win 8, office 2010 is better - haven't used office 2013 much but if anyone has, please share the love :)

HTH
Muzz

Sent from my iPhone