[BCAB] Which IPhone

M Lakhani muzz.lakhani at googlemail.com
Sat May 18 23:08:41 BST 2013

Cirri is indeed handy, but by no means fool proof ! I rely on it for little tasks for getting them out of the way! Dictation is a lot more useful to me!
I'm pretty proficient on GPS  & it's a fantastic thing to have on the go!
Re your worry about qwerty layouts: you'll be pleased to know that the keyboard layout on the screen is qwerty - sort of - punctuation & numbers are accessed with a built in key called more numbers , but what you're able to input is hugely increased! !
Actually the maximum rate of speech on iOS is a bit faster than Nokia !
I've not been affected by speaking aloud in public places- just do those private & sensitive tasks in a quiet setting or at home. I've also found that covering my mouth with the other hand whilst using voice commands improves the response , especially in noisy places where using earphones isn't possible!
I'd like to point out The dictation and Siri work best when there is a good Internet connection. Best results are octaneed  at home if you have connected your iPhone to your home broadband network. That's why it is important that you choose  the right network, especially around the areas you  need to access the features the most That involves "data connection, Such as surfing the web, social networking, voice dictation, and most importantly the GPS.  There are also apps for buses & trains so you can travel more independently!
You said that you assigned 13 key combinations for 13 apps on the phone: the iPhone comes built in with around 20 or so apps & you can add more as you please! You get 16 apps on each page, which can be accessed using a simple gesture! Also on the bottom of each page, is the doc, which is a good reference point! So each page has 16 apps + 4 apps in the dock!
I've actually arranged my apps alphabetically , which is handy for locating apps the hard way! Touching an app calls out its name, so a 4 by 4 grid, plus dock at the bottom is your layout to work with!
I've already said that I use the spotlight search to get an app if cirri doesn't feel right to use- I've got over 250 apps on my phone, & this method is efficient & accessible , & you can even do a web search with it!
I agree with Richard about back up & transfer , & apple or your carrier can also help with it if you find it difficult to do yourself !
Applevis is surely a good resource & even the old info on it is mainly relevant & helpful! Also, info about using the iPad , iPad mini & iPod touch will mostly also apply to iPhone since  iOS is ubiquitous , barring the difference in screen size & the ability to put in a sim for making calls or using data from a carrier , so you've got plenty to choose from!
If you want a demo, you can link back to me privately !
Once you're over the learning curve, you'll find that iPhone is closer to a mini computer in nature, & increases the possibilities for doing so much more with a device in your pocket! It's also important to note that Nokia will be pulling the plug on the Simbeon OS in favour of windows phone 8, so why not embrace the system which is the future?
As the old saying goes: once you've used mac you'll never go back :)

HTH
Muzz

Sent from my iPhone