[BCAB] Which IPhone

M Lakhani muzz.lakhani at googlemail.com
Sun May 19 11:03:31 BST 2013


There's Walkie on google's android ! It's free too!  
Also search for Georgie , & Synaptic ! These were the old equivalents, & android has moved on a bit!
There's also the iOS free mailing list as well!
HTH
Muzz   

Sent from my iPhone

On 19 May 2013, at 08:04, "Tom Reid" <tom.reid21 at virginmedia.com> wrote:

> What are the android equivalents of these for sat nav.
> 
> Tom
> 
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Bcab [mailto:bcab-bounces at lists.bcab.org.uk] On Behalf Of M Lakhani
> Sent: 18 May 2013 21:24
> To: BCAB Discussion List
> Subject: Re: [BCAB] Which IPhone
> 
> Yes you can use anything at all for GPS as long as there's data , or the
> service stops working!
> Blind sq & Ariadne are there to allow route planning & locating  (like where
> am I) ! Navigon is like trekker but a little more versatile :)
> 
> HTH
> Muzz  
> 
> Sent from my iPhone
> 
> On 18 May 2013, at 14:25, Gladyth Gupta <gladyth.gupta at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
> 
>> Can Navagon be used with Mi-Fi mobile broadband? How does blind square
> differ from Navagon?
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: "Richard Godfrey-McKay"
>> Sent:  18/05/2013, 12:23  PM
>> To: "'BCAB Discussion List'"
>> Subject: Re: [BCAB] Which IPhone
>> 
>> 
>> Kate, You can have your 12 favourite aps on the home screen, and one 
>> tap takes you to the next set of 12, so I shouldn't think it would be a
> problem.
>> 
>> 
>> The GPS with Navigon is far superior to the Breeze, and I don't really 
>> use SIRI at all, but I do use the dictation facility for long e-mails 
>> when I can be private.
>> 
>> One thing I think extremely important is to get the new provider to 
>> transfer the data you want transferred from the old phone.  This means 
>> you're not struggling to transfer info in addition to the admittedly 
>> steep learning curve of the new device.  Although some of the material 
>> on Applevis may look dated, it's pretty much still relevant.  Good luck if
> you make the change.
>> It's the best piece of kit I've had in ages.
>> 
>> 
>> Richard
>> 
>> Richard Godfrey-McKay
>> 
>> Telephone: 01738-445 880
>> 
>> Mobile: 07791 452 593
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Bcab [mailto:bcab-bounces at lists.bcab.org.uk] On Behalf Of Kate 
>> Harrington
>> Sent: 18 May 2013 12:11
>> To: BCAB Discussion List
>> Subject: Re: [BCAB] Which IPhone
>> 
>> Thanks Muzz,
>> You say Siri stops you fiddling through screens to get at things. I 
>> might well need it then, the reason I didn't use voice commands on my 
>> phone is because I had single keys set up to take me to 13 different 
>> apps, so didn't need it. It will take me some time to get used to 
>> having to speak aloud what I want to do, I hate people being able to 
>> overhear. I use speech at it's highest rate on my phone, a Nokia E72. 
>> I don't want a C5 because it isn't qwerty.
>> I'll look at your website, and I've also had a look at Apple vis, lots 
>> of the data was old though.
>> My problem is I only get about a week where I have both phones, before 
>> my old number is taken over to the IPhone, I can't afford to run both 
>> contracts.
>> If I can find out as much as possible before agreeing to a contract, 
>> then I should be in a better position to decide whether I go for a 
>> contract double what mine is now, or try and get another E72 second 
>> hand. I don't mind a steep learning curve, but I'd like to be able to 
>> have a reasonable go at assessing whether the level of skill I might 
>> attain would make me as quick and confident with the IPhone, however I 
>> end up using it, as I am with the E72.
>> Are you good at using the GPS on yours? If I could get good at that it 
>> would make a lot of difference, because I wouldn't have to have the 
>> trekker with me. I often forget it when I go out and can rarely go 
>> back for it because we have a very limited bus service where I live, 
>> so it would be great if gps was on the phone.
>> Thanks.        Kate.
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: "M Lakhani" <muzz.lakhani at googlemail.com>
>> To: "BCAB Discussion List" <bcab at lists.bcab.org.uk>
>> Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2013 8:18 AM
>> Subject: Re: [BCAB] Which IPhone
>> 
>> 
>>> Hi Kate
>>> Your email has a lot of questions, so lets try & tackle them 1 at a 
>>> time, & by all means, please link back again if something isn't clear 
>>> or more info is needed :)
>>> 
>>> Viable alternative :
>>> I'm going to take a wild guess & assume  that you're using a Nokia 
>>> phone with talks! iPhone isn't the only alternative - you do have 
>>> Android phones too, & some people have also talked about the Nokia c5 
>>> with talks on this list, which I think you can still get from RNIB - 
>>> would someone please verify this? iPhone is however the more popular 
>>> accessible viable alternative due to a longer presence of a fully 
>>> integrated accessibility suite on the device! However for this 
>>> discussion lets assume that you do decide on iPhone - the answers to 
>>> your
>> questions is then as follows!
>>> 
>>> iPhone 4, 4s or 5:
>>> Obviously you've covered prices! The way apple devices work is by the 
>>> use of an operating system, called iOS!  By design , you get every 
>>> iPhone with this on it, since the very 1st iPhone was launched in 
>>> 2007! However each new version of the iPhone adds one or two new 
>>> features that become the minimum benchmark moving forward! The 
>>> overall software & the physical design are sometimes also tweaked , 
>>> but generally
>> all companies do this!
>>> The internal hardware, camera & material quality are as a rule of 
>>> thumb , also improved slightly with every new iteration !
>>> iPhone 4 brought us FaceTime - the HD quality video chat between 
>>> apple devices iPhone 4S was ciri iPhone 5 has that new lightning 
>>> cable, plus the first apple based phone that works on kevin bacon's 
>>> superfast EE network & has 4G capability!
>>> Obviously newer phones provide faster response times & a better 
>>> battery life, so you do indeed get to do a lot more stuff together 
>>> for
>> longer!
>>> 
>>> Sat nav & compass:
>>> If you're looking for using a lot of data on the go & you want 
>>> accurate results, then a faster internal mechanism is always better.
>>> 4s & 5 - the latter is faster, but accuracy isn't really compromised, 
>>> even though battery life is much better on 5!  Yes you can indeed 
>>> save favourites & points of interest ! You'll probably need a third 
>>> party app like navigon if you want to emulate Trekker's functionality 
>>> & applevis has plenty of reviews & threads on it!
>>> 
>>> Ciri , voice commands & keyboard :
>>> Apple devices are touch screens, so not having physical buttons mean 
>>> you might need other ways of interaction , based on your task! I've 
>>> been a touch screen user on iOS since late 2009, & can use speech at 
>>> full speed since 2011 for everything ! However sometimes the option 
>>> of searching the web, voice dialling , sending a quick text, managing 
>>> calendar on the fly without fiddling through the screens is really 
>>> useful, especially on the road! This also helps me to plot routes on 
>>> the go quickly - it's not perfect but easy & quick if you get the 
>>> hang of
>> it!
>>> There's a dictate function which is good for doing lengthy emails, & 
>>> how you get on it depends on how much you're comfortable on touch!
>>> You don't really need a keyboard as such - it's another thing to 
>>> carry & defeats the point of ease & speed! Having said that, I do 
>>> occasionally use a physical keyboard , but I don't think it's allowed 
>>> me to do anything I can't do just as easily on the screen, & surely 
>>> nothing extra! I've used it mainly due to my rheumatoid arthritis in 
>>> my fingers that make it difficult to hold & hit the screen! Also, the 
>>> only times I've really needed a physical keyboard is to edit quick 
>>> office documents on trains & buses, edit code or HTML , using 
>>> specific apps for engineering or for doing lengthy emails when using 
>>> voice hasn't
>> felt appropriate !
>>> Which shortcut is most used, depends on your task at hand, but
>>> VO+space is the one I've used the most: the one like pressing enter 
>>> VO+on
>>> a PC! I've listed all of them on my blog here:
>>> http://www.fram3.co.uk/blog
>>> 
>>> If you notice, I've also listed the touch gestures, & they are all 
>>> doing the same thing!
>>> 
>>> Navigating through screens & apps:
>>> As pointed out, you can always arrange icons in folders or on 
>>> different pages! I've always found this a cumbersome & inefficient 
>>> method! In fact I use the built in spotlight search! It's quick to 
>>> activate, accessible & avoids painful location of anything on the 
>>> phone - just enter the 1st few letters, & things get listed quickly!
>>> This has been part of iOS since 2007 so should be there on any iOS 
>>> device,
>> & even on a mac !
>>> 
>>> Call quality, headphones & speech:
>>> This one always surprises me! Provided you know what you're doing, 
>>> you can get it to behave just the ideal way! I've used VoiceOver to 
>>> exchange info, contacts, documents, messages & even emails when on a 
>>> call! I've not really needed to use the earphones unless its by 
>>> choice! True that traffic noise can impair the sound transfer on 
>>> calls whether speaking or listening , but I'm yet to find a phone 
>>> that can actively minimise this cocktail party effect without 
>>> earpiece or headphones! Actually the speakers on the iPhone are 
>>> louder on the newer models for listening to music or playing games or
> videos!
>>> 
>>> Resources :
>>> The bcab list should be able to answer your questions for sure! You 
>>> may also like to look at tutorials by David Woodbridge from vision 
>>> Australia that explain how to use iPhone with VoiceOver !
>>> 
>>> Any other queries, just link back!
>>> 
>>> HTH
>>> Muzz
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Sent from
>>> my iPhone
>>> 
>>> On 17 May 2013, at 21:56, "Kate Harrington" 
>>> <kathrynharrington at btinternet.com> wrote:
>>> 
>>>> Hi IPhone users,
>>>> I need to get an IPhone as it seems to be the only viable 
>>>> replacement for my bathed phone whose deterioration is rapidly
> increasing.
>>>> The contract prices are very high monthly for the IPhone 5, half the 
>>>> price if I go for a 4.
>>>> Why might I want a 5 rather than a 4?
>>>> I want to be able to use the SatNav function. I believe there is a 
>>>> compas too. Does the 5 handle the SatNav or the compas better than 
>>>> the 4, if so, how?
>>>> Can I enter landmarks on the SatNav, similar, for those who know it, 
>>>> to the way I can on the Trekker?
>>>> I know the 4 doesn't have Siri. Why do those of you who use it find 
>>>> it of value. I know you can ask it to help find facilities, for want 
>>>> of a better word, but is it very difficult to find such things 
>>>> without it. I can use voice commands on my phone, but I find the 
>>>> keyboard quicker so never do. I have disabled TALKS from telling me 
>>>> who is calling. Is Siri perhaps a way of getting to things more 
>>>> easily than navigating through screens? How good is it at hearing 
>>>> when you want to speak quietly so others don't hear while you are 
>>>> out, and how well does it cope with traffic noise?
>>>> I've never used a touch screen before, so I'm going to find it all 
>>>> difficult to start with, but I'm asking a competent touch screen 
>>>> user to tell me why Siri - would it be worth spending a further £10 
>>>> per month for
>>>> 24 months.
>>>> Currently I can assign 13 function keys to go directly to a 
>>>> function/application on the phone. If there are other things I want 
>>>> to access, I have arranged them in the menus, and I can pick the 
>>>> entry by typing a number.
>>>> These are ways that make it quick for me to use my phone. Are there 
>>>> ways of quickly getting to most used apps on the IPhone, 4 or 5, 
>>>> which is best?
>>>> The same applies to when I am in a call. I know I'll need to have 
>>>> the IPhone on speaker phone, but how easy can it be made to quickly 
>>>> get to applications so I can look up or send a contact, appointment, 
>>>> text message etc?
>>>> How much of what I can now do might I not be able to achieve on the 
>>>> IPhone. There may well be plenty of other apps that will be of such 
>>>> a benefit that I just have to suffer my losses.
>>>> Would getting a keyboard help speed things up?
>>>> I saw some keyboard commands on the Apple vis site which suggest it 
>>>> might, do any of you find one useful and why? Are there things that 
>>>> the phone can do which can't be accessed by using the keyboard? 
>>>> Maybe it is only of value for writing and reading text.
>>>> I don't want to ask too many things here, but anything you can tell 
>>>> me about which phone is best to use and why would be appreciated.
>>>> I've joined a mailing list from the Apple vis site, but have not had 
>>>> any mails yet, maybe it is out of date.
>>>> What list would you recommend where I might be able to ask for the 
>>>> sort of help I'm asking you for.
>>>> Thanks.        Kate
>>>> 
>>>> --
>>>> To find out more about BCAB and the benefits that membership can 
>>>> bring, please visit our website:
>>>> http://www.bcab.org.uk/
>>>> 
>>>> To manage your subscription to the BCAB mailing list, please visit 
>>>> our
>>>> website:
>>>> http://www.bcab.org.uk/bcab-discussion-list/
>>>> 
>>>> To discuss matters relating to the mailing list, please email 
>>>> moderator at bcab.org.uk.
>>> 
>>> --
>>> To find out more about BCAB and the benefits that membership can 
>>> bring, please visit our website:
>>> http://www.bcab.org.uk/
>>> 
>>> To manage your subscription to the BCAB mailing list, please visit 
>>> our
>>> website:
>>> http://www.bcab.org.uk/bcab-discussion-list/
>>> 
>>> To discuss matters relating to the mailing list, please email 
>>> moderator at bcab.org.uk.
>> 
>> 
>> --
>> To find out more about BCAB and the benefits that membership can 
>> bring, please visit our website:
>> http://www.bcab.org.uk/
>> 
>> To manage your subscription to the BCAB mailing list, please visit our
>> website:
>> http://www.bcab.org.uk/bcab-discussion-list/
>> 
>> To discuss matters relating to the mailing list, please email 
>> moderator at bcab.org.uk.
>> 
>> 
>> --
>> To find out more about BCAB and the benefits that membership can bring,
> please visit our website:
>> http://www.bcab.org.uk/
>> 
>> To manage your subscription to the BCAB mailing list, please visit our
> website:
>> http://www.bcab.org.uk/bcab-discussion-list/
>> 
>> To discuss matters relating to the mailing list, please email
> moderator at bcab.org.uk.
>> 
>> 
>> --
>> To find out more about BCAB and the benefits that membership can bring,
> please visit our website:
>> http://www.bcab.org.uk/
>> 
>> To manage your subscription to the BCAB mailing list, please visit our
> website:
>> http://www.bcab.org.uk/bcab-discussion-list/
>> 
>> To discuss matters relating to the mailing list, please email
> moderator at bcab.org.uk.
> 
> --
> To find out more about BCAB and the benefits that membership can bring,
> please visit our website:
> http://www.bcab.org.uk/
> 
> To manage your subscription to the BCAB mailing list, please visit our
> website:
> http://www.bcab.org.uk/bcab-discussion-list/
> 
> To discuss matters relating to the mailing list, please email
> moderator at bcab.org.uk.
> 
> 
> -- 
> To find out more about BCAB and the benefits that membership can bring, please visit our website:
> http://www.bcab.org.uk/
> 
> To manage your subscription to the BCAB mailing list, please visit our website:
> http://www.bcab.org.uk/bcab-discussion-list/
> 
> To discuss matters relating to the mailing list, please email moderator at bcab.org.uk.




More information about the Bcab mailing list