[BCAB] Watching TV on an I Phone

M Lakhani muzz.lakhani at googlemail.com
Tue May 21 14:25:59 BST 2013

Really Yousuf ? Catch up tv doesn't work for you? I'm on Barry on this one - been using it for 2 years + & it's ok. However lately, it's been a bit buggy!!
Common errors that randomly appear now include:
1. Network authorisation : it has sometimes  mislabeled my ISP & repeatedly asks for agreeing to its T&Cs, even during the middle of a transmission .
2. Incorrect diagnosis of errors : A random apology message appears , claiming that there's been error whilst loading the stream. This happens even when a stream is apparently working fine.
3. Invalid character: a random message says "could not scan object. Character not a valid JSON character " - this appears relentlessly even when you ok the message. The stream continues, but a dialog box constantly impedes the screen. It also makes the tv experience for VoiceOver users very unpleasant due to constant interruptions.
4. Null error: "/{}\pause=\...{NULL} " - this is a stream killer, especially on 3G.

Occasionally , the advert displayed by catch up tv does not have VO friendly buttons when you first access a new channel stream. This inaccessible design is worsened by the advert graphics to automatically remove themselves , even after the advert has long finished. This requires the app to be restarted from scratch, reloaded & the procedure repeated till a  skip advert button could be encountered! As more & more adverts are being presented in this inaccessible way, it can be argued that VoiceOver users do not receive advertising in an accessible form.. Advertising has been the service's justification for continued existence & why it can broadcast BBC ! There's currently a lawsuit against it by itv ! However coming back to technology , I've reported these issues to GZ, the developers, & haven't received a response!
I've also discovered that deletion & redownloading it makes the app work sometimes, but there's still no respite from the above problems!
HTH
Muzz.

Sent from my iPhone