[BCAB] My near future to do with technology

Kate Harrington kathrynharrington at btinternet.com
Wed May 22 16:53:52 BST 2013

Hi Chris,
When I did courses through the OU I applied for, and was given a disabled
student's grant. I could pay for a reader for quite a number of hours, and
they bought equipment for me, an embosser and a Voicenote.
At that time they were offering courses free to people on benefits, but now
I think the courses are only free if you don't already have a degree, and
are on benefits.
All of the E material was accessible, so were the various sites I used. My
courses were varied, genetics, astronomy, Earth sciences and geology,
computing. I was aiming at a science degree, but I had to do a required
course where the ethics of science had to be considered. I'm all in favour
of ethics, but the degree was for my interest, I had no intention at all in
becoming employed in the science field, and I absolutely hated the ethics
stuff, not worth going into here as to why!
There are courses worth 10 points, 30 points and 60 points. At the time I
did my courses you would have needed some 60 point courses, particularly
from the 2nd and 3rd level courses, but the rest could be made up of any
number of points. The 30 points courses were considered part time. They took
just as many weeks to complete but half the hours.
The summer schools were fine too. I was assigned a helper who was able to
help with all I needed.
I'm totally blind, and I found they were willing and able to provide course
materials before the summer schools.
There were several people at the summer schools, and at the tutorials I
attended during the term times, who had a range of illnesses and
disabilities. They all found the OU helpful.
I'm sure there will be some horror stories out there, and people who can
tell tales of bad treatment, I don't know any of them.
        Kate