[BCAB] study on image descriptions for the web

Helen Petrie helen.petrie at york.ac.uk
Thu May 23 10:23:02 BST 2013

Hi All,

Helen Petrie from the University of York here.  We are doing a study, commissioned by museums and organizations of blind and partially sighted people in the UK, Ireland and Australia.  It's about how images should be described on websites for blind and partially sighted people, particularly on museum websites, using the notorious alt text.

We are looking for blind and partially sighted people who would be interested in doing two one hour interviews - one in the next couple of weeks, and the second in a couple of months time.  The interviews can be done via skype or phone (or if you are local to York, you could certainly come to the university or we could come to you).  The first interview will involve discussing image descriptions in general and then talking through a number of images and working out what would be a good description for visually impaired people.  The second interview will be discussing some guidelines for image descriptions that we have developed and descriptions of a number of images made using the guidelines.

We are happy to offer £30 in Amazon or Marks and Spencer gift vouchers plus any travel/other expenses incurred.

Let me know if you are interested! Also, feel free to pass this message on to any other blind and partially sighted people who might be interested (we aren't looking for web wizards, just anyone who uses the web).

Many thanks for your help.

Helen

Helen Petrie Phd AFBPsS CPsychol FRSA

Professor of Human Computer Interaction
Department of Computer Science
University of York
Deramore Lane
Heslington East York YO10 5GH
United Kingdom
tel: +44 1904 325603

Disclaimer: http://www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm

Personal webpages
York HCI Website
eAccess+ European Network on eAccessibility