[BCAB] heir Hunters list

M Lakhani muzz.lakhani at googlemail.com
Fri May 24 20:57:47 BST 2013

Hmmm it's a common phishing tactic! Did you requested the services of a heir finder? If these emails appeared from someone you don't know or don't really care about much, then it's not worth engaging with them!
If you want to identify these sort of messages, do the following :
1. Does the language appear dodgy or grammatically flawed?
2. Does the email refer you by name, or is salutation absent?
3. Does the sender appear to be from a domain resembling , but not matching the name of a real company? Example, HSBC.com = real, hsbcnet.com= fraudulent
4. Is the registered address & registered company number missing from official correspondence ?
5. Does the sender's domain end with a suffix other than .com or .uk & if so, then do you have any ties to that country?
6. Can you find the named company on a trusted source on google, or on any social networks, especially on LinkedIn ?
7. Does the message asks for sensitive information purely by email?
8. Is the email requesting money, credit card or bank account details, or requesting your online banking details?
9. Does the email specifically want to get you to click a dodgy link or risk calamity ?
10. Does the message omits  a customer service number, a reply to email  & anti virus & anti spam verification ?

If in doubt, clear it out! Also, report doubtful emails to your Internet provider, so that you can get them to involve the police if appropriate !
Any queries, please link back :) ! Also given the nature of your query, you can always contact me off list to discuss things confidentially !
HTH
Muzz

Sent from my iPhone