[BCAB] What's happened to 3g on my iPhone 4S

M Lakhani muzz.lakhani at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 20 08:35:47 BST 2014

There's a free app called SpeedTest. If you want to test how fast your internet data currently stands, run it over wifi. To test O2 or any other network, go to settings>wifi, temporarily turn it off & refresh the app to determine what level of signal is piping to your device. Remember to turn wifi back on once you're done. :)

Ibrahim & Roger have the right solution for connection diagnosis. However, to check things on the fly, I normally use the status bar on the top, which from left to right is arranged as follows:
Phone signal; Network name; Data strength; Time; Audio/Video status; Location services status; Bluetooth status; Battery strength. Not all of these may be displayed at a given time, depending on your settings, usage or surroundings. However, the 3rd item from the left is the one to check out for this exercise. Values for this in ascending order of strength are: (none shown), gprs, edge, 3G, 4G, Wifi (if connected to a home or other network. Normally, 3G should be at least strong enough to open a simple web page. If this doesn't happen to be the case, & there are no major network issues, & Ibrahim's method doesn't yield any joy, then it's a definite hardware issue.
Hope this all makes sense, & have a good Easter
Muzz

Sent from my iPhone