[BCAB] Sandra's thinking of taking the touch screen plunge!

Sandra Gayer sandragayer7 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 11:24:30 GMT 2014

Thank you everyone for such comprehensive answers! I think that if I
bought an Android phone, I would need to buy a speech solution as I
haven't heard encouraging things about Talkback at this stage. I heard
about an Indian engineer who designed a Braille Smartphone prototype,
planning to launch towards the end of last year and nothing has been
reported since. Articles kept saying, "unique", "world's first" and
"enterprising", however, it's the fourth product of this kind I've
heard about over the last three years, following the same pattern of
excitement to silence which is a real shame.

Returning to my current plan of action, I have to admit I am tempted
by the 4S pricetag even though it's 8 Gigabytes. Can anyone tell me if
Voiceover comes with an acceptable voice at the start. I'd be
perfectly happy with ETI Eliquence. If it came with that I wouldn't
buy something else as well.

Muz, I haven't already got a Braille display although I do use an
MPower that, apparently, cannot connect to IOS or Android. If Android
phones still had physical qwerty keyboards, that could change
everything.

Very best wishes,
Sandra.