[BCAB] PDF Secured

M Lakhani muzz.lakhani at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 20 05:13:11 GMT 2014

Hmm a little clarification please :)
You're wanting to convert a text based PDF to an image, & then reverse OCR that image back to a text based PDF right?
This is to secure a document, correct?
I am  pretty sure that this is doable, with one caveat: each time you run an OCR, no matter what OCR app you introduce, you run the risk of introducing an error. OCR has come around in leaps & bounds over the past few years. However it is certainly not perfect. Surely give your method a go if you've got an OCR program, try to ascertain what is the error rate based on the nature of your document, & certainly link back with your findings. However, I am concerned that even with 100% accurate OCR accuracy, the document is not secure, & in fact still yields an image available to sighted persons & anyone with an OCR can also crack your method.
In summary, if it is simply for security, then there are more viable, quicker & efficient security methods out there. Try anything that allows password protection, encryption & so on. I generally use the Linux terminal to change document access, using chmod uag+--- command, but this is probably not something you want due to the nature of the beast. Therer are certainly accessible commercial packages out there, & we had a discussion on the list about it. Perhaps someone could please reiterate it for me :)
I hope this makes sense, but if it doesn't or you need more help, please link back :)
HTH
Muzz

Sent from my iPhone