[BCAB] Document Scanning

David Griffith d.griffith at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 20 23:45:06 GMT 2014

Yes even using the EyePal I found, especially with books over say 300 pages
long that the curvature when books laid under the Tripod,  adversely
affected the scan. This was the hard experience of scanning over 40 books
for my Thesis.
I found that under a camera you got much better and consistent results if
you were able to lay the pages flat under the tripod.  The improvement was
worth the extra effort of tearing out pages for me rather than trying to
proof read poor scans.

I also found that despite the claims of the ability to scan two pages at
once under a camera this was an overrated feature. In reality the results of
single page scanning were far superior to two page book scanning. In any
case many academic books were too big for double page scanning under the
camera. When I used to go to the British Library I routinely took a folder
simply for the purpose of occluding one of the pages whilst I was scanning
under the EyePal.

Obviously I could not tear pages out of library books, but did do this for
my own purchased books.

I realise the EyePal is getting quite long in the tooth now. I think I had
one of the early models, only 5 MP and I think they come in 8 Mp now but it
did serve me well in general despite infuriating bugginess and lazy,
inaccurate ,  amateurish  manuals.

David Griffith