[BCAB] Open University

Eleanor Martha Burke eleanormarthaburke at gmail.com
Sat May 3 19:17:48 BST 2014

I am an Open University student studying for my Masters in Laws.  All my
Modules (I am on the 4th currently) are or have been on-line with excellent
accessability.  However, there have been on-line tutorials via eluminate
live which works with Java and for a screen reader Java Access Bridge.  I
have never felt confident enough to attend a live tutorial as my screen
reader does not make the grade when working with JAB for me to participate
fully independently.  However, I have managed to listen to recordings of the
tutorials with my tutors sending me the PowerPoint presentations used in the
tutorials.  As well as on-line course work, there is a facility to download
accessable formats for all students on the modules and this includes format
for Kindle, MP3 files, PDF files and Word.  Where there are videos or MP3
audio interviews there are transcripts of these.  Getting around the website
does not have accessability problems just up to one to get familiar with the
layout of it.  Hope this helps and reassures you.  I know that on this list
and others I have been ready to complain about the OU and accessability but
I cannot complain, rather compliment the OU on its on-line courses.  There
is then the Office that deals with students requiring alternative formats on
those courses that are not on-line, I cannot remember the name of this
office, simply because it keeps changing its name, it used to be called the
Office for Students with Disabilities but I think it now has something to do
with Material Resources, probably to keep up with politically correctness
but such an office is excellent in any case.  Depending on the course one
chooses one may be entitled to apply for Disabled Student's Allowance or as
is the case for myself, I get the same assistance by another means known as
the Access to Learning Fund.  The ALF is a means tested student support
financial assistance in terms of non-medical help and equipment but I think
one can have a financial income of about twenty-three thousand pounds and
below per annum to qualify for the support.