[BCAB] Trying Window Eyes

David Griffith d.griffith at btinternet.com
Thu May 8 16:22:55 BST 2014

Window-Eyes does take a bit of getting used to but I still think it is an
important low cost option for us, especially as it offers high quality
screen review capabilities that NVDA currently does not offer. . However, I
am afraid Window-Eyes is not as snappy as Jaws in most situations, but If
you are happy with the free option of eSpeak  voices you should find  them
less laggy and more responsive.

I know you said you did not want to buy voices but I did plump for buying
Eloquence for Window-Eyes which I think was £25 from memory. Dec Talk  is an
even cheaper option at £15. Both of these synthesisers are reasonably
responsive with Window-Eyes. Certainly  I do not regret buying Eloquence .

The process of adding Eloquence or Dectalk is less than intuitive but if you
do go this route I can offer advice which should assist. Basically Eloquence
and Dectalk are already installed in Window-Eyes and just need unlocking , a
fact which was not made clear by GW Micro communication when I bought the
voices.

In the Window-Eyes options you can also set up a backup synthesiser if for
any reason your default synthesiser crashes so I have Eloquence as my
default and Dectalk as my backup but so far it has not had to kick in..

David Griffith