[BCAB] Biting the bullet.

Eleanor Martha Burke eleanormarthaburke at gmail.com
Thu May 8 17:19:28 BST 2014

Sandra, maybe I should be writing off list but my comments might be of
interest to others also.

I too had an iPhone and iPod and even an iPad mini.  There is no real
resemblance between these devices and the Mac apart from voice over, that
said of course for one using a Bluetooth keyboard with these devices then
there is a greater similarity.  I started off not having a clue, could only
just about turn on the Mac *smile*.  Thanks to much help I have progressed.
In the Apple store I found it hard to have a demo on the Mac as there was so
much external environmental noise so I recommend you bring along some
headphones and I am sure the person in the Apple store will pair them with a
Mac for you.  I liked the size and style of the Mac Book Air and had decided
it would replace my NC10 Windows XP Home netbook, which incidentally I am
still hanging on to for dear life!!!  I did not find the Mac at all
intuitive, I was more puzzled about the number of fingers I required to
execute a command, for example whereas on my Windows machine I could press 2
keys to send an e-mail, I found myself having to use 4 fingers which was and
remains very cumbersome.  I also found the concept of tables strange and
having to interact and uninteract with a table.  However, that is becoming
clearer as time goes on.  What I miss particularly is the magnification as I
use Supernova but have installed a demo of Zoomtext which I have not
activated yet as I want to get to know the keystrokes.  Everyone says to
read the tutorials and listen to the podcasts on using the Mac with voice
over and these are indeed very useful.  It was also suggested to me that I
might think of paying the Apple fee of about and I quote loosely here £79
per year to have one to one lessons at the Apple Store.  I am reluctant to
do this as there is no real expert at my local Apple store who could
meaningfully teach me though I believe in central London at the Regent
Street branch of Apple there are suitably qualified people.  I have found
myself someone who can assist me who is a Mac user and have also joined a
Mac e-mail list which I do not bother with much these days though I do read
it in case there is something of interest to me there.  While I had
considered giving the Mac Book Air to a niece or nephew within weeks of
purchasing it, I can now say that I have changed my mind and enjoy using the
Mac.  To date I have not used word processing but have sent e-mails,
received e-mails, sent and received iMessages, made notes and have used
Safari.  I am disappointed that iBooks is not accessable with voice over.
The cost is high financially so I guess I went for the cheaper option of the
Mac Book air and an external CD/DVD drive.  As I am an Open University
student, I asked Apple if they offered any discount to students on proof of
attendance at the college/university and I got about 15% discount which was
good as I think it amounted to about £120.00 off the asking price.  Oh yes,
I have used Skype on the Mac too.  Finally, I would like to thank all list
members on this list who have answered my Mac questions and helped me
greatly.

Eleanor