[BCAB] cuts to disabled student allowance - what to do about it

Graham Page gpage at useit.plus.com
Thu May 15 11:33:08 BST 2014

Hi Barry.

I think the argument about carrying equipment is rather tenuous.  I also do
question the need for note takers in many cases.  Part of being a student is
being able to take your own notes!  Lecturers do need to make their material
more accessible.  If they use complex graphs during lectures then they need
to be accesible to students and the lecturer should describe what a graph or
a diagram shows.

I do accept, however, that some people with dyslexia may need asistance
taking notes or perhaps they should be given useable notes by the lecturer.
The same applies to people with physical disabilities.

On the technological side, a visually impaired person will need a note
taking device.  Light weight laptops are generally more expensive than a
desk top PC.  Most sighted students would not have a scanner.  Library staff
may not have time to spend, say, a couple of hours with a student at a time
going through relevant books looking for chapters relating to information
that  a student requires.  once the student has selected material, with the
help of a librarian, that material would need to be scanned and presented in
an accessible way including explanation of graphs and diagrams.

I could go on, but the point is that the lack of consultation on this
proposed change is scary.

One of the things that RNIB does relatively well is campaigning and I trust
that RNIB is giving these proposed changes their full attention as in their
current form they must surely be disasterous for visually impaired students
as well as students with other disabilities.

Cheers

Graham