[BCAB] Course in programming

Roger Woolgrove rawoolgrove at gmail.com
Fri May 23 01:12:34 BST 2014

Stephen,

I am studying Java as part of a Computing and IT degree with the OU.  My
first module used BlueJ which was fully accessible and at compilation you
would be taken to your first error so re-running the program would
eventually take you to all of the errors, not run-time errors naturally.
Since then they have dropped that module and I believe that all Java taught
with the OU uses Netbeans which is not the best in terms of accessibility.
If your modules use Netbeans then discuss with your tutor and get a copy of
Sodbeans.  A google search will take you to where you can download it.  This
is not quite fully accessible but most things are okay.  There is a way to
find the compilation errors though I tend to not use it often and do not
recall it as I prefer to write a method/function and check it works then
look for any errors manually.  The editor reads where syntax and symantic
errors occur.
If however you are using something like Eclipse then I have no idea but you
could get further help at either program-l at freelists.org or
program-java at freelists.org.  Both are forums for blind and VI programmers
though I think program-java may have been closed.

HTH

Roger