[BCAB] HOW DO PEOPLE DOWNLOAD PRINT BOOKS AND READ THEM ONPORTABLE DEVICES?

Ian Macrae ian.macrae at disabilitynow.org.uk
Sat May 24 10:35:43 BST 2014

Richard, in that case you're looking at something like one of the larger format Braille note takers such as Braille Sense 32 or Braillenote Apex.  It is certainly possible to read books in this way and I've been doing so for some time.  As for sources, the only legal way of which I'm aware is to buy the book and scan it into electronic text using a scanner an computer.  Again this is something I have done.  But copyright law does not permit the sharing of these or any scans.  that's not to say it doesn't go on.
On 24 May 2014, at 08:46, Richard Godfrey-McKay wrote:

> David, Don't think my Brother could cope with that.  What would you suggest
> for a device with a 40 cell display which, I'm guessing, could have a book
> loaded on to a card?  I'm not really clear about sources of books, how to
> convert them into Braille and how fluently a fluent paper reader can get?
>
> Thoughts welcome please.
>
> Richard
>
> Richard Godfrey-McKay
>
> Telephone: 01738-445 880