[BCAB] Moto G

Pele West pele.west at west-home.co.uk
Sat Aug 22 11:56:56 BST 2015

Hi Eleanor

I bought a Moto G phone some time ago and have to confess that I do not
like touch screens very much. One seems to have to do so much to achieve
so little. I have eased the problem by buying a Bluetooth keyboard, but
it is still necessary to touch the screen sometimes.

I don't know how you mute speech. The only way I know of getting it to
speak again is to press the Power button for about 15 seconds until the
phone vibrates. This causes it to reboot and speech should be restored.

There is a screenreader called Shine. I have not tried it but it is
available from the Play Store.

There is a website called Inclusive Android which has lots of
information to get you going.

One thing I found useful in the latest version of Talkback: Talkback has
these angled gestures which I could not get the hang of. Now it is
possible to redefine gestures in the menu. I swipe up to achieve on
context menu and swipe down to achieve the other. Also, these menus
appear on the screen as circles with Cancel in the middle. It is
possible to change them to lists in the Talkback menu.

I have installed an app called Total Commander to manage my files. It is
a bit like Windows Explorer.

I have installed Typemail for e-mail, but have not used this much. I
know some people prefer Aquamail or K9.

I have installed Nova Launcher to enable me to arrange the icons on my
home screen. There are other such programs including Apex and Big
Launcher that I know some people like.

There are people with much more knowledge than me, but if I can help any
more, let me know.

Pele West