[BCAB] Notetaker Opinions

Andy Collins chitchat121 at icloud.com
Tue Aug 2 12:20:27 BST 2016

In the end, I chose the Baum VarioUltra 20. I had done as much research as was possible, and did have some hands on experience with Half a dozen or so different models. I used a Braille sense plus for 18 months, but it wasn't really what I wanted, too many clunky bells and whistles, several aspects of which just did not work as they were meant to. Also in my opinion most of the displays I saw I found not to be aesthetically pleasing, cheap to the touch, and unnecessarily bulky. The VU in my opinion is the opposite of all this, and I must add I have no vested interest in saying so. It looks and feels like a professional piece of equipment, is very streamlined and lightweight, and ergonomic.
The Braille input keys which are square and are smaller than you get on the Hims range, once I got used to it I preferred it, and it isn't a drastic change from other keyboards layout. The display and the quality of Braille is the best I have seen. It is not feature rich and I like it for that because what it does do it does extremely well. there is a very helpful and supportive email forum, with monitoring and participation from some of the Baum staff.
I think if I remember correctly that the price of the 20 cell display is £2400, I think it's a limitation on features makes this expensive, but it ticks the boxes I wanted ticked, and is extremely portable. Obviously these are just my experiences and opinions but I hope they are of help to somebody.
Andy

Sent from my iPhone