[BCAB] Intro and a Question

David Griffith daj.griffith at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 23:11:17 BST 2016

Personally I have experienced problems with Windows Media Player and use
Winamp but it sounds like it is a wider problem than that anyway.  You
may have already done this but I think first you need to make sure that
an application specific mute has not been applied.
1. Load each application that is not playing audio in turn.
That is for example try to play an mp3 file with Windows Media Player.
Within the application check that application volume is set at a high
level like 100%.
2. Assuming that there continue to be no sound output then you need to
check system volume:
3. Press the start button and type Vol in the search box.
4. You should hear something like adjust system volume control panel.
5. Press enter to open up the control panel.
6  Now  Tab across the sound volume control panel to the application
that is not providing
  expected audio, for example in your first test Windows Media Player,
and  try to make sure that it has not, somehow, been muted.  Also make
sure that volume is not set to 0%. If it has you you need to press the
spacebar on the checkbox to unmute it or use the arrow keys to increase
system volume on the slider.

Repeat these steps for each application, that is not behaving as
expected, that is Speak On and whatever you are using to play your audio
books to eliminate this as a possible cause of the problem.

If the application you are testing does not appear in this control panel
then this application is not passing audio to the OS which will also be
a clue.

David Griffith