[BCAB] Portable Braille Display Recommendations

jim taylor rolyat1 at gmx.co.uk
Wed Aug 10 20:09:09 BST 2016

Hello, Mel.

I sing bass in our choir, and am able to transcribe bass parts
"On the fly" as they are being played by the accompanist.   I use
a BrailleNote Apex, which has 32 cells, has immense storage
facilities and can handle words and music on the same Braille
line, using either BRF or KWB files.   It has a very robust strap
and so can be slung over the shoulder, hanging decorously down in
front of you as you stand for comfortable reading with both
hands.

Alternatively, you can store your music, as Andrew suggested, on
SD cards or memory sticks and receive files for downloading from
a memory stick from the choirmaster.   In fact, my choirmaster
has gone one better.   Sometimes, he will send me my bass part in
Braille music, because I have sent him a table which enables him
to type it out on his computer.   So, using American computer
Braille, a dollar sign on his computer will produce e a crotchet,
an underscore a third octave sign, etc.   A natural is a star, a
sharp a percent sign and a flat a less-than sign.

I gather that such files produced on a Handytech or an Esytime
can be converted to midi files.

With its thirty-two cells, the Apex allows me to write small
groups of words and music for said words on the same line.

Anyway, I've gone on for far too long, but hope this helps.

Warm regards,

Jim.