[BCAB] Urgent Help Required - Communication Aid

Adrian Picton adrian.picton at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 15 10:36:49 BST 2016

Dear all,

Please note this message carries a mascara/tissue warning so if you are at work or somewhere where you can't deal with something sad then maybe come back to this message later, but do come back to it if you can to see if you can help. This message goes beyond just a frustrating computer problem.

Unfortunately my darling wife Sarah has a brain tumour and has only been given a matter of weeks to live. She lost the use of her right arm and hand several weeks ago and now her left arm and hand is going as well. Her speech has also been deteriorating and she is now virtually unable to say anything understandable. She can nod or shake her head to sighted people and can squeeze my hand once for Yes and twice for No. You can imagine how frustrating this is for someone who is fully mentally alert and for me as their partner when Sarah is unable to communicate with me.

Initially I tried the Braille Sense in one-handed mode, but she no longer has sufficient use in her left hand to use it. I also tried creating a document with the letters of the alphabet on each line so she could use the scroll keys on the Braille Sense to find a letter to spell out a word for me but she can't even keep her fingers on the buttons. I also tried Braille Lexicon cards but she is unable to pick them up to place them to spell out a word or to see the large print letters from far enough away to point to them.

What I want to know is does a device exist like perhaps what Steven Horking uses where you can select letters or phrases to be read out in synthetic speech, but where the interface controlled by a joystick or pointing device also speaks to provide access for a visually impaired person. If so where could we get access to such a thing?

Alternatively does anyone know of an app, piece of PC software or computer or smartphone attachment which would do the job? Most things on the market are by their very nature visual.

If any of you can help or point me in the direction of someone who can I would be so grateful as it would help Sarah and I to make the most of our precious moments together.
Many thanks in anticipation,

Adrian.

Sent from my iPhone