[BCAB] Update on Cordless phones with talking features

Adrian Picton adrian.picton at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 28 21:41:04 BST 2016

Hi,

I have to say I am intrigued as to why people are so keen on this Panasonic phone when so many of it's features are inaccessible and you have to use codes and count presses of arrow keys to change options.

The Powertel 710 talking cordless phone available from RNIB is pretty much fully accessible. Not only does it have talking caller ID but you can change pretty much all the settings with full speech and add and edit entries in the phone book.

Yes it does have it's faults, the main one being it uses recorded speech prompts instead of synthetic speech and so, apart from the 13 recordings you can make to associate with contacts all the rest are spelt out laboriously when the phone rings.

I understand the Panasonic phone will play all the announcements stored in a Truecall unit through each of it's handsets which is really good as you can store hundreds of recordings in Truecall, but to my knowledge you can't scroll through the Truecall entries from the handsets and dial them so they will need to exist within the handsets as well. I am sure Steve Nutt will correct me if I've got any of that wrong.

The Powertel 710 does not have an answerphone and probably isn't technically as good a phone as the Panasonic, but to my knowledge itts the most accessible cordless phone on the market. You can have up to 5 handsets on it and call internally between them. There's a good selection of ringtones and you can adjust the ringing volume and call volume to be very loud to assist people with hearing loss and it's hearing aid compatible.

Like the Panasonic the handsets are rather easy to knock off the base though.

My advice is before you buy a Panasonic have a look at the Powertel 710 on the RNIB shop website and download the manual and see for yourself what it can do.

Adrian.

Sent from my iPhone