[BCAB] The difference between a router and a modem

Jackie Brown jackieannbrown62 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 13:34:54 GMT 2017

Please forgive me for what I am going to ask, and please be very gentle with
me in how you get technical with your answers! (smile.)  I start punching
above my weight when it comes to networking I'm afraid as you will see.

Since I purchased my NAS drive recently, I have noticed that it takes an
exceptionally long time to get stuff over to it through the network, even
though my desktop machine and the NAS both have ethernet connectivity.

The situation is that we have a BT modem of moderate age.  We are thinking
of changing broadband providers at the moment, but that's another story.

My questions: what is the difference between a modem and a router?  My
understanding is that the modem is the device that brings an Internet
connection into your house, and a router if you have one is the device that
connects to a modem that distributes the connection to other parts of the
house.  I know not everyone uses the modem provided by their ISP, and some
people use a modem from their ISP and a router to make things faster with
more connections in the home.

So, if my assumption on this is correct, how could I improve speed through
my network?  I think Steve mentioned during the NAS thread last week that he
has a fast router, or is it the modem that makes it faster, or is it one and
the same thing?

I'm looking for some straightforward help here please guys! (still smiling
but feeling the need to pull my hair out already!)

Kind regards,

Jackie Brown
Email: Jackieannbrown62 at gmail.com
Follow me on Twitter: @thebrownsplace