[BCAB] The difference between a router and a modem

Andrew Hodgson andrew at hodgsonfamily.org
Fri Feb 24 13:40:44 GMT 2017

Hi,

You are technically correct.  Think of the modem as the piece of kit that connects to the phone line or wherever the Internet happens to come into your house, and the router as the piece of equipment that distributes the Internet connection to other devices and more offen than not provides wireless capabilities.  Modems and routers can be part of the same box, kind of like an all in one hifi system that has CD player, amp etc built into the same unit.

There are various reasons why you would want to look at having separate modems and routers, for example if you are using a Virgin cable connection, then you are limited from a modem perspective to just being able to use the Virgin equipment.  If you put this equipment in modem mode, then you can connect your own router to this which gives you faster connectivity, better wireless, better features etc.

In terms of your connectivity between the NAS and the PC, it would probably help us to identify what router you use currently, and how you connect your own machine to this.

Andrew.