[BCAB] VI Parliament Voting

Clive Lever clive.lever1955 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 22:38:09 BST 2017

Thanks Ed,

I've found it, and for the benefit of those who joined in the topic about
access to voting at the time of the election campaign, the text reads:

Cat Smith (Lancaster and Fleetwood) (Lab)
A Lancaster University study found that 24% of people with learning
disabilities had registered to vote, but that only 9% of them used their
vote. The
survey also found that some voters were turned away from polling stations by
clerks who perceived their learning disability to be the reason why they
were
not allowed to vote. What are the Government doing to ensure that all
voters, regardless of their disability, have their right to vote in
elections?

Chris Skidmore
The hon. Lady makes a very important point. The Cabinet Office has
established an "accessibility to elections" working group; its members
include Mencap
and the Royal National Institute of Blind People. I am concerned to ensure
that in the 21st century, disability and sight loss are not barriers to
voting.
We will look at bringing forward proposals to ensure that we make our
elections as accessible as possible.

Comment: I am now involved in this initiative on behalf of B C A B. Next
Wednesday, I  shall attend a briefing session about a proposed pilot online
voting system, aimed at making democracy more accessible to disabled people.
If anyone has any further points to raise on your behalf if I get the
chance, please send them to:

Clive.lever at bcab.org.uk.

It's your association (if you've joined - hint hint), it's your issue and I
am your representative, so use me.

Best,
Clive