[BCAB] A different approach El Braille

Jackie Brown jackieannbrown62 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 09:10:46 BST 2017

What I used to do when going out on demos is sit with the customer and ask
what they might want the product to do, and what they had used before, just
to give the visit some sort of structure.  Some people realised that what I
had brought them to see was not going to meet their needs.  I never, ever
used sales tactics like promising them it could do what it clearly wasn't up
to.  And I always wanted the customer to think about it because, as we all
know, this kit of ours is a considered purchase, especially if it is coming
out of one's own pocket and not funded.  So I can't recall any of my demos
being under an hour unless I was pretty certain the person I was visiting
was really wasting my time, and that did happen occasionally.

The other aspect to this is that a lot of the people I visited were very
appreciative of the fact I couldn't see, because they felt they were getting
a demo from someone in the same position as them who understood the need for
Braille and speech products.  It also wasn't unheard of for people to ring
the office and ask if they had a blind employee they could discuss a sale
with.  So, in that sense, Sight and Sound well and truly shot themselves in
the foot for not employing a blind person in-house when I left.  I'm not
saying for one second that it made me irreplaceable, but I am just pointing
out that if you sell blindness products, particularly Braille, you need a
blind person who can demonstrate, sell, train and support it.  Maybe others
have a different view, but that is my experience anyway.

Kind regards,

Jackie Brown
Email: Jackieannbrown62 at gmail.com
Follow me on Twitter: @thebrownsplace