[BCAB] Connecting a Braille Display With the amazon Fire Tablet

Kerry Fielding littlemisslovely1973 at me.com
Mon Jul 17 12:07:20 BST 2017

HI folks.

So, as I'm sure many of you are awear, Amazon have now added braille
support to their fire tablets and I can confirm that, after much strife
and stress I've managed to get my Vario Ultra and Fire tablet
connected.  If this is something you are interested in then grab a cuppa
because this is going to be a fairly long email and one you might wish
to save.  Note that at the time of writing, amazon say that only
displays from Humanware, Baum and, of course, the orbit have been tested.

Firstly, I want to quash some myths.

   1.  Brailleback is not necessary.   However, if you do happen to have
Braille Bac on your tablet, confirm that there is a braille option in
your Voiceview settings before uninstalling.  If there is not, it's
likely that you do not have the most up-to-date software and therefore
do not have native braille support.  Try updating manually to see if you
can grab the latest software and take advantage of the new native
braille support.

   2.  you do not have to swipe across the screen to get the kindle app
to change pages whilst reading.  This happens automatically as it does
when reading via the kindle app on IOS.

   3.  If you are a VarioUltra owner like myself, you do not have to
change your bluetooth emmulation mode to VarioConnect as the manual
suggests that you do to take advantage of braille support for Android
devices.  It works on the default which is VarioUltra emmulation mode.

Assuming your tablet has the latest fire OS installed, you have Braille
as an option in the voiceview settings, your braille display has
bluetooth turned on and is discoverable,do the following to connect them.

   1.  Go to voiceview and swipe to braille and double tap on it.

   2.  Double tap on the scan button and your braille display should
appear after a few seconds.  If it does, double tap on it. You will then
be prompted to enter your bluetooth pin code.  There is a tickbox on
this page which you have to tick in order to get the keyboard to allow
you to enter text.  It says something to the effect of "my bluetooth
code contains numbers, letters and symbols.

   3.  Enter your pin and tap on the "Done" button.  At this point, you
maybe fooled like I was and think that your code has not been accepted.
This is not the case.  You simply have to confirm your code by double
tapping on the OK button.  I went round and round with this and in the
end saught sighted assistance because i knew my code was not wrong.  The
OK button is difficult to find so save yourself the grief and get
sighted help while pairing.

You should now be good to go.  However, if your screen locks, it seems
that your display and fire tablet become disconnected. Simply go through
the pairing process up to and including the scan portion and you will be
connected once again.  NO need to re-enter your pin, but you do have to
manually find the display again should you become disconnected.

For me, once I had connected and was moving around my fire tablet to my
kindle app, I was getting both braille and speech output. However, once
I had located the kindle app and gone into the book that I wanted to
read, speech appeared to mute itself and the only sound I heard was the
sound of each page turning as I panned using the display.  Some people
have reported that their notification says that their bluetooth is
disconnected when reading with a display.  I did have this initially but
can't confirm whether I have it now i have my emmulation mode as
VarioUltra.   I'll keep you posted.  It would also seem that while
Amazon have been working hard on getting Braille support, they haven't
worked so hard on their support documentation.  Peter Corn from amazon
was contacted and provided this very basic list of keystrokes.  Pasted
from an email on another list.  Sorry about all the > signs.

Hope you find this useful.

Kerry