[BCAB] BWBF launches Bumblebee

Graham Page gpage at useit.plus.com
Sun Jul 23 15:25:36 BST 2017

Hi Jackie.

I've bbeen away so only on the edge of this debate but I do agree with
everyone here that we have 2 or 3 products which don't quite do what we want
yet they are in competition with each other.

The british wireless for the blind fund is in a strange situation and I
don't know much about the culture of the organisation.

What I would say is that for many years, the organisation was largely
pointless.  It offered people radios throughout the 1980s and 1990s which
were no more accessible than anything you could buy off the shelf.  Most
people who had these radios as kids got them because they could rather than
because they needed them.  In general radios in those days were very
affordable to most people anyway.

With DAB and the lack of accessibility, and now the increasing use of
internet radio, the Wireless for the Blind fund should have more of a
purpose.  I can't however take an organisation which offers me a trial that
ends 4 days before the release of a product very seriously.  Bumble Bee
product from a bumbling organisation is hardly a good marketing  line but we
really do need organisations like BWFB to use the money donated to them in a
rather more professional way than they perhaps have in the past.  Meaningful
consultation that is listened to and used to direct the policy of the
charity would be a good first step.  My strong feeling is that at the moment
BWFB does what it thinks blind people might want.  At the trial of Bumble
Bee I was involved with, there was no direct input from BWFB and not even
any documentation either.  Part of the trial involved interviews and though
the people doing the trial were helpful, they worked for a research company
with limited or no previous knowledge of the kinds of technology blind
people use.

The people doing the research were helpful.  I had a play with the bumble
bee tablet, took it away for a week, wrote notes and yes I got paid a
reasonable amount for doing this.  Releasing bumble bee 4 days after handing
the product back means that the trial is pointless.   The trial could help
with future releases, but of course bugs found won't be fixed in the first
version.

Regards

Graham