[BCAB] Braille devices in education

Panagiotis Antonopoulos pantonop at windtools.gr
Tue Jul 25 12:43:21 BST 2017

Hi all,
Like Jackie and most of those who responded to this threat, I was
simultaneously educated both in using Braille, and also type. This I had to
do, because I attended a sighted school as a totally blind person, and my
teachers needed to be able to read my feedback. I have to say that qwerty
suits me much better, because if I use a Braille keybord, I always have to
check that a letter was not typed properly, with pressure affecting the non
appearance of a dot or so. Also, it is much harder in this country to
produce Braille input devices, because the Braille device may not be able to
recognize Greek from Latin characters. So, qwerty is even more important to
me. Besides this, I am in constant exchange of documents with my students,
other colleagues and general administration. Even if I wanted to type
something on a perkins style keybord, this would not produce the assumed
results. But having said all this, learning to type with Braille is very
important, because it can help a lot in mental recognition, that is, keeping
an imaginary perkins brailler and Braille characters in your mind. With just
Braille output, I do not think this is achievable.
			K	indest Regards from the island of Euboea,
			Takis