[BCAB] Really useful skills on the Amazon Echo

Muzzamil Lakhani muzz.lakhani at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 11 00:57:59 GMT 2018

Well I have to say that having some smart devices does help Alexa no end.
Philips Hue, Osram & LIFX lights (with or without a hub):
Alexa, Lights on/off or Turn Bedroom lights blue/green/white or kitchen lights brighter/ dimmer (by 50%, optionally)
Also great for simulation of lights on timer switches as a security measure.

Nest Home (Nest Thermostat )
Alexa, turn the heating up/down (to 75F optionally), or Set heating to 70.

Somfy (Somfy powered electric curtains)
Alexa, close/open curtains (in the bathroom, optionally ), or draw half the blinds.

The following require linking a relevant  account for the service you want the skill for:

iCloud Calendar (AppleID):
Alexa add event to iCloud calendar .

Uber (Uber Account +mob):
Alexa request an Uber (to The White Hart pub, optional), or
Request an Uber  Ex/Exec/Excel/Assist (at my home/work address, optional)

Dominos (Dominos pizza account):
Alexa, order a Vege Supreme pizza from Dominos (specify large/medium +deepPan/ItalianCrispy base +ExtraJalapenos/NoOnions +StuffedCrust, optional)., or
Order the 2ForTuesday deal from Dominos.

JustEat (need a JustEat account):
Alexa, order some Thai food from JustEat, or
Order a Curry (from Thaali Cafe Easton, optional ) from JustEat.

Spotify (Spotify Premium account ):
Alexa, play Hey Jo by Jimmy Hendricx from Spotify, or
Play some Jazz from Spotify, or
Play my ChillStep playlist from Spotify.

Netflix (For Echo Show/Echo Spot, or connected FireTV via Bluetooth , Netflix account ):
Alexa Play/Browse the latest Helen Mirren/Danny Boyle/UniversalStudio film on Netflix, or
Play MadMen S2Ep8 from Netflix.

Audible (audible account ):
Alexa, resume Fire & Fury from Audible , or
Play a book by Khalid Hussaini from Audible.

Please feel free to substitute your examples In the above queries. Bits between parenthesis are optional words or phrases which can help make your query more precise & possibly avoid follow up questions from Alexa.
I must warn you that any skill linked to a third party account will by default use the payment method linked to the third party account, which may/may not be the same as  Amazon’s default method. If you wish to use a different payment method, do not use  Alexa. Instead  use your phone or change the payment info in the app & then come back to your Echo.
Please let me know if you’d like a demo of any of these skills.
HTH
Muzz

Sent from my iPhone