[BCAB] iPlayer Audio Description on iPhone

Iain Lackie iainlackie at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 16:48:14 GMT 2018


Sadly I think the best advice on this one is if we are relying on the BBC to fix it is don't hold your breath. This has been the case for years. The BBC may be aware of it, but it is not a high priority.

Iain

> On 22 Mar 2018, at 4:26 pm, Paul Porter <Paul.Porter at rnib.org.uk> wrote:
> 
> Absolutely. Let's hope the BBC fix it soon.
> 
> They are aware of this issue.
> 
> Paul
> 
> 
> Paul Porter
> Technology For Life Team Manager
> RNIB (Royal National Institute of Blind People)
> 105 Judd Street, London, WC1H 9NE
> T: 0207 391 2037
> I: (500) 2037
> E: paul.porter at rnib.org.uk
> w: www.rnib.org.uk 
> 
> Join us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/rnibuk 
> Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/rnib
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Iain Lackie [mailto:iainlackie at gmail.com] 
> Sent: 22 March 2018 16:03
> To: BCAB Discussion List <bcab at lists.bcab.org.uk>
> Subject: Re: [BCAB] iPlayer Audio Description on iPhone
> 
> Paul
> That may be the case. However, the iPlayer app is very misleading on the point. Surely one would expect if one choses the Audio Described category that all the programs listed under that category would be Audio Described. If only the latest episode of a show is to have audio description when played, this should be clearly stated somewhere. Better, this should be fixed.
> 
> Iain
> 
>> On 22 Mar 2018, at 3:32 pm, Paul Porter <Paul.Porter at rnib.org.uk> wrote:
>> 
>> You can get to previous audio described episodes by going to www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer in your browser. Find the show, e.g. Eastenders. Each episode has a watch with AD button.
>> 
>> Paul
>> 
>> 
>> Paul Porter
>> Technology For Life Team Manager
>> RNIB (Royal National Institute of Blind People)
>> 105 Judd Street, London, WC1H 9NE
>> T: 0207 391 2037
>> I: (500) 2037
>> E: paul.porter at rnib.org.uk
>> w: www.rnib.org.uk 
>> 
>> Join us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/rnibuk 
>> Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/rnib
>> 
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Iain Lackie [mailto:iainlackie at gmail.com] 
>> Sent: 22 March 2018 15:24
>> To: BCAB Discussion List <bcab at lists.bcab.org.uk>
>> Subject: Re: [BCAB] iPlayer Audio Description on iPhone
>> 
>> My finding with Eastenders on both IPhone and Fire is that there is audio description only on the most recent episode. Earlier episodes are shown but there is no AD.
>> 
>> Iain
>> 
>> On 22 Mar 2018, at 2:27 pm, Susan Jones <paws4talk at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 
>> Hi, I use I player on my I phone all the time. Go to menu , I start at the bottom of the list as this is quicker swipe up the list and audio description comes above subtitles. Susan. 
>> 
>> Sent from my iPhone 07411181963
>> 
>>> On 22 Mar 2018, at 1:27 pm, Yusuf Osman via Bcab <bcab at lists.bcab.org.uk> wrote:
>>> 
>>> Having read the discussion related to ITV and audio description which has drifted in to the iPlayer I thought I'd try and play something with audio description using the latest BBC iPlayer App on my iPhone7 running the latest IOS. I've tried playing the latest episodes of both Eastenders and Shetland but have not been able to get audio description to play. I also tried the documentary on the attempted assassination of Adolf Hitler. There doesn't appear to be an audio description button in the player itself, which is really disappointing as the subtitles button is there. Yes I've turned that on just to make sure that audio description doesn't come on as well, but it doesn't. I've looked in the settings but can't find anything relevant to audio description. I've also tried doing a search using Google but couldn't find anything on how to actually turn on audio description, aside from using the category audio described, which I couldn't find in the App. Incidentally, and this has rather annoyed me as well, I can't find how to turn audio description on, but I was able to find a Q&A on how to turn it off.
>>> 
>>> I must be doing something wrong, but what it is I've not got a clue. Can anyone help?
>>> Yusuf
>>> 
>>> I've set up a FundMe account to help cover the ongoing costs of my PhD. I'd be very grateful if you'd consider donating. Thank you!
>>> https://www.gofundme.com/lhj928
>>> Why not follow me on Twitter at:
>>> yusuf_oy
>>> Facebook:
>>> /yusuf.osman.188
>>> 
>>> 
>>> -- 
>>> To find out more about BCAB and the benefits that membership can bring, please visit our website: https://www.bcab.org.uk/
>>> Manage your subscription by logging in with your BCAB account details at : https://www.bcab.org.uk/user_mailman_register
>>> Access the publicly searchable list archives at: https://lists.bcab.org.uk/pipermail/bcab/
>>> To discuss matters relating to the mailing list, please email: moderator at bcab.org.uk.
>> 
>> -- 
>> To find out more about BCAB and the benefits that membership can bring, please visit our website: https://www.bcab.org.uk/
>> Manage your subscription by logging in with your BCAB account details at : https://www.bcab.org.uk/user_mailman_register
>> Access the publicly searchable list archives at: https://lists.bcab.org.uk/pipermail/bcab/
>> To discuss matters relating to the mailing list, please email: moderator at bcab.org.uk.
>> 
>> -- 
>> To find out more about BCAB and the benefits that membership can bring, please visit our website: https://www.bcab.org.uk/
>> Manage your subscription by logging in with your BCAB account details at : https://www.bcab.org.uk/user_mailman_register
>> Access the publicly searchable list archives at: https://lists.bcab.org.uk/pipermail/bcab/
>> To discuss matters relating to the mailing list, please email: moderator at bcab.org.uk.
>> --
>> 
>> Sight loss isn’t black and white - we all see things differently. Explore this spectrum of sight with #HowISee: watch our film at rnib.org.uk/HowISee 
>> 
>> --
>> 
>> 
>> DISCLAIMER:
>> 
>> 
>> NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is confidential and may be privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient you should not use, disclose, distribute or copy any of the content of it or of any attachment; you are requested to notify the sender immediately of your receipt of the email and then to delete it and any attachments from your system.
>> 
>> RNIB endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses or other contaminants.  However, it cannot accept any responsibility for any  such which are transmitted.
>> 
>> We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.
>> 
>> Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email and any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of RNIB.
>> 
>> RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227
>> 
>> Website: https://www.rnib.org.uk <https://www.rnib.org.uk>
>> -- 
>> To find out more about BCAB and the benefits that membership can bring, please visit our website: https://www.bcab.org.uk/
>> Manage your subscription by logging in with your BCAB account details at : https://www.bcab.org.uk/user_mailman_register
>> Access the publicly searchable list archives at: https://lists.bcab.org.uk/pipermail/bcab/
>> To discuss matters relating to the mailing list, please email: moderator at bcab.org.uk.
> 
> -- 
> To find out more about BCAB and the benefits that membership can bring, please visit our website: https://www.bcab.org.uk/
> Manage your subscription by logging in with your BCAB account details at : https://www.bcab.org.uk/user_mailman_register
> Access the publicly searchable list archives at: https://lists.bcab.org.uk/pipermail/bcab/
> To discuss matters relating to the mailing list, please email: moderator at bcab.org.uk.
> --
> 
> Sight loss isn’t black and white - we all see things differently. Explore this spectrum of sight with #HowISee: watch our film at rnib.org.uk/HowISee 
> 
> --
> 
> 
> DISCLAIMER:
> 
> 
> NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is confidential and may be privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient you should not use, disclose, distribute or copy any of the content of it or of any attachment; you are requested to notify the sender immediately of your receipt of the email and then to delete it and any attachments from your system.
> 
> RNIB endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses or other contaminants.  However, it cannot accept any responsibility for any  such which are transmitted.
> 
> We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.
> 
> Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email and any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of RNIB.
> 
> RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227
> 
> Website: https://www.rnib.org.uk <https://www.rnib.org.uk>
> -- 
> To find out more about BCAB and the benefits that membership can bring, please visit our website: https://www.bcab.org.uk/
> Manage your subscription by logging in with your BCAB account details at : https://www.bcab.org.uk/user_mailman_register
> Access the publicly searchable list archives at: https://lists.bcab.org.uk/pipermail/bcab/
> To discuss matters relating to the mailing list, please email: moderator at bcab.org.uk.



More information about the Bcab mailing list