[BCAB] Upgrading PC

Darren Brewer darren.m.brewer at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 20:00:32 GMT 2018


Hi


A standard windows install with a generous amount of applications will 
probably require 50 or so GB. Having a 250GB SSD is more than adequate 
for most people. The only exception is if you are using a laptop with 
only space for a single hard drive and need to store all your documents, 
photos, video and music. Otherwise on a desktop system bbest practice is 
to have Windows and its apps on the SSD and a very large spinning HDD to 
store all other data on. having it seperated also makes backing up very 
easy and in the event of Windows requireing a reinstall if you have it 
imaged then again it makes restoring the image very very easy and quick. 
My Desktop Has a 3.6GHz I7 processor. 8GB of RAM, 250GB samsung EVO SSD 
and a 3TB spinning HDD for storing data. Although the RAM is on the shy 
side I have still disabled the paging file so data is not cached to the 
SSD and when I check the free memory its usually around 5GB so it never 
really gets close to the maximum. PCs these days are unbelievably 
powerful and unless you are doing heavy video editing or computer 
modelling you will never really use it to its full potential. video 
transcoding is probably the most CPU intensive thing I use my PC for and 
thats something I do rarely, but it copes very well thanks to the power 
of the I7 processor.


Well that's my opinion others may disagree.

Darren.


On 22/03/2018 08:47, Jackie Brown wrote:
> Hi Ben
>
> As I have said in a previous message, I want to upgrade to Office 2016, and doing so for me means formatting the SSD because it just won't accept 2016 as it stands for whatever reason.  So if I'm going to do that, I might as well increase the SSD capacity.
>
> I realise that upgrading the CPU might mean another motherboard and obviously more cost, so that's why it'll get done at some point...
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Jackie Brown
> Email: Jackieannbrown62 at gmail.com
> Check out my website: www.thebrownsplace.info
> Follow me on Twitter: @thebrownsplace
> Skype name: thejackmate
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ben Mustill-Rose [mailto:ben at benmr.com]
> Sent: 22 March 2018 03:25
> To: BCAB Discussion List <bcab at lists.bcab.org.uk>
> Subject: Re: [BCAB] Upgrading PC
>
> Without meaning to be awkward I disagree:
> To upgrade the CPU on that machine is going to involve purchasing a new CPU (obviously), new RAM & a new motherboard - E.G. the cost is going to bea a lot higher than you might think it would be for a CPU upgrade, not to mention that you'd have to upgrade everything at once.
> I'd put it at roughly £400 not including labour.
> I also disagree that upgrading to a 1TB SSD would be a good idea for that machine, mainly because I don't feel that spending lets say
> £220/£250 on a SATA-based SSD (which is what you'll need to do for that machine) is sensible in 2018 given the pricing of NVME-based drives.
> It's a perfectly fine machine as it is & short of anything failing I don't see any reason why it would need to be upgraded for another 3/4 years.
>
> On 3/22/18, Brian Lingard <BKL at ncf.ca> wrote:
>> Dear Jackie & List:
>> Nice desktop you have. You may wish to upgrade the CPU to the latest &
>> Greatest from Intel. The 1 TB SSD sounds like a plan.
>> Brian
>>
>> From: Jackie Brown [mailto:jackieannbrown62 at gmail.com]
>> Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 10:39 AM Hi Brian
>>
>> The machine I will eventually upgrade again is my desktop.  It is a
>> locally built machine with an I5 processor (second generation,) 256gb
>> SSD and 16gb of RAM.  It has an internal 1tb drive which used to be
>> its main drive C before it had a facelift a few years ago, and a 3tb
>> internal drive on which I keep my music.  I would like to put it up to
>> a 1tb SSD and then take the opportunity to put Office 365 latest
>> release on it.  I've had this machine since 2011 and I love it to bits
>> so am just happy to upgrade bits and pieces when time and money
>> permit.  I don't begrudge the kindness I invest in it because I use it
>> nearly all day every day, so it isn't really a luxury to keep it
>> updated every few years.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Jackie Brown
>> Email: Jackieannbrown62 at gmail.com
>> Check out my website: www.thebrownsplace.info Follow me on Twitter:
>> @thebrownsplace Skype name: thejackmate
>>
>> From: Brian Lingard [mailto:BKL at NCF.CA]
>> Sent: 21 March 2018 14:24
>>
>> Dear Jackie & List:
>>
>> Not sure if your PC is desktop,, tower or laptop.
>>
>> Had a failing 256 GB SSD drive on this Dell Latitude 6130. Dell said
>> between my motherboard, BIOS and Windows 10, this system can handle 1
>> TB or more of drive. Had 8 GB RAM however Dell said it could be
>> doubled. Asked my Nerd from Nerds On Site to pick up these items at
>> his [parts store. Found 1 TB hard drive too thick to fit comfortably
>> into drive bay as returned it for
>> 512 GB SSD drive which fits nicely. Now have 16 GB RAM. Serious sound
>> editing here I come!
>>
>> Check with your PC maker as to available upgrades. May save you buying
>> a new, beefed up, system.
>>
>> Main reason I want to replace this PC is to have USB 3.1 also known as
>> USB/C ports. Their data transfer rate is stratospheric compared to USB
>> 3.0.
>> Brian
>>
>> From: Jackie Brown [mailto:jackieannbrown62 at gmail.com]
>> Sent: Monday, March 19, 2018 1:10 PM
>> Hi Steve
>>
>> When I give my machine a makeover I will upgrade, but I can't at the
>> moment because my machine seems to get upset with 2016 and I'm not
>> going there right now!!
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Jackie Brown
>>
>> From: Steve Nutt  <steve at comproom.co.uk>
>> Date: Monday, 19 March 2018 12.25
>>
>>>
>>> Hi Jackie,
>>>
>>> With Outlook 2013 I've seen it, but not 2016.
>>>
>>> Time to upgrade?
>>>
>>> All the best
>>>
>>> Steve
>>>
>>> From: Jackie Brown <jackieannbrown62 at gmail.com>
>>> Sent: 19 March 2018 09.28
>>>
>>> I've had it since 18 with Outlook 2013.  I can reply to messages
>>> using the shortcut for a while, then nothing happens and only a
>>> reload of JAWS
>> works.
>>> I thought you said Steve that you could confirm this when I raised it
>>> on the list some months back! I can live with it, but really it
>>> shouldn't
>> happen.
>>> Kind regards,
>>>
>>> Jackie Brown
>>>
>>> From: Steve Nutt  <steve at comproom.co.uk>
>>> Date: Monday, 19 March 2018 9.17
>>>
>>>> Hi Jackie,
>>>>
>>>> I'm not getting the Outlook thing here, in fact I've never seen
>>>> JAWS work so well with Outlook as it does with this build.
>>>>
>>>> All the best
>>>>
>>>> Steve
>>>>
>>>> From: Jackie Brown <jackieannbrown62 at gmail.com>
>>>> Sent: 19 March 2018 08.25
>>>>
>>>> Hi David
>>>>
>>>> I agree with much of what you say.  I find JAWS 2018 latest build
>>>> fine for most things, but one of the big problems I have with it at
>>>> present, as with previous builds for some time, is that I have to
>>>> unload and reload it in Outlook.  When I hit control with r to
>>>> reply to a message, nothing happens after a while, and only
>>>> unloading and reloading JAWS allows me to reply.  I certainly don't
>>>> find it works that well with Edge though I have managed to shop using it.
>>>>
>>>> I agree too that the VFO group needs to up its game, they make lots
>>>> of positive noises, but the end result is often very disappointing.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Kind regards,
>>>>
>>>> Jackie Brown
>>>>
>>>> From: David Griffith  <daj.griffith at gmail.com>
>>>> To: BCAB Discussion List  <bcab at lists.bcab.org.uk>
>>>> Date: Monday, 19 March 2018 7.37
>> I would be reasonably happy using Edge with NVDA.  What is the
>>>>> problem with adding Favorites? Control D works fine for me in Edge?
>>>>> If you want to
>>>> retrieve Favorites press F6 and navigate to Favorites list. You can
>>>> navigate your favorites list there normally with arrow keys.
>>>>> I find Edge does work fairly well with NVDA and can complete
>>>>> shopping for
>>>> example with Sainsbury's without issue.
>>>>> Occasionally you lose speech but the useful "restart" function of
>>>>> NVDA,
>>>> simply press control alt and N will normally clear any problem and
>>>> will allow you to continue using the browser without having to
>>>> reload a
>>> page etc.
>>>>> Jaws prior to the latest update was pretty dreadful even with
>>>>> Edge support
>>>> turned on. I have not tried it  since last week's update but as
>>>> this update has for me at least slowed up Jaws 2018 significantly
>>>> and seems to have deteriorated responsiveness  and appropriate
>>>> focus in apps like Windows mail I have not been tempted to try it
>>>> again with
>> Edge.
>>>>> I agree that VFO in my view need to significantly up their game
>>>>> with
>>> jaws.
>>>> I still find I have to use not 1 but actually 3 screen readers,
>>>> Jaws, NVDA and Narrator. Jaws starts up as my default screen reader
>>>> but too often I am forced into NVDA and Narrator because jaws
>>>> cannot do the basics at an acceptable standard. It is bizarre that
>>>> they have still not sorted out proper Audio Ducking rather than
>>>> Audio suppression after from memory first introducing this in jaws
>>>> 16 and then almost instantly losing the proper functionality.  This
>>>> is a big deal for hearing impaired users. NVDA and narrator both
>>>> handle this properly and have done so for a long time. You still
>>>> cannot use fast forward and rewind keyboard shortcuts in iTunes
>>>> with jaws after several years of this support being available in
>>>> NVDA. If you use control alt left and right arrow whilst playing
>>>> Music in iTunes with jaws it absurdly reports not in a table.
>>>> ITunes is not an obscure application, and whilst it may not be
>>>> everybody's cup of tea FS has often claimed support
>>> for iTunes as a Jaws selling point, including demonstrations in
>>> FSCast Podcasts.
>>>> As I say these and other problems persists for years over multiple
>>>> Jaws versions, even though I have reported them as issues,
>>>> including the yearly beta cycles.
>>>>> Jaws consistently lags behind not just Narrator but NVDA  in
>>>>> support for
>>>> inbuilt Windows apps. I unloaded Jaws about 15 minutes ago because
>>>> it was becoming unresponsive with Windows mail and had to switch to
>>>> NVDA to write this email.
>>>>> On the other hand although it has slowed up since last week's
>>>>> update Jaws
>>>> is still far more responsive with things like File Explorer than
>>>> NVDA and if using NVDA I normally have to switch to using Explorer 6!.
>>>>> Still I expect more for my yearly payment to VFO for Jaws I must say.
>>>>>   David Griffith
>>>>> My Blind Access and Guide dog Blog
>>>>> http://dgriffithblog.wordpress.com/
>>>>> My Blind hammer Blog
>>>>> https://www.westhamtillidie.com/authors/blind-hammer/posts
>>>>>
>>>>> From: Tom Reid via BCAB
>>>>> Sent: 19 March 2018 06.28
>>       Does anybody think edge is worth using?
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> It seems to load very slowly and the pages are not easy to navigate.
>>>>> Padma referred to the difficulty of adding favorites the other
>>>>> day and it seems there is no easy answer to this.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> I'm using the latest jaws 2018.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> If NVDA is any better, it's a disgrace that a paid for screen
>>>>> reader has taken so long to work properly.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Tom
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>>
>>
>> --
>> To find out more about BCAB and the benefits that membership can
>> bring, please visit our website: https://www.bcab.org.uk/ Manage your
>> subscription by logging in with your BCAB account details at :
>> https://www.bcab.org.uk/user_mailman_register
>> Access the publicly searchable list archives at:
>> https://lists.bcab.org.uk/pipermail/bcab/
>> To discuss matters relating to the mailing list, please email:
>> moderator at bcab.org.uk.
>>
> --
> To find out more about BCAB and the benefits that membership can bring, please visit our website: https://www.bcab.org.uk/ Manage your subscription by logging in with your BCAB account details at : https://www.bcab.org.uk/user_mailman_register
> Access the publicly searchable list archives at: https://lists.bcab.org.uk/pipermail/bcab/
> To discuss matters relating to the mailing list, please email: moderator at bcab.org.uk.
>
>




More information about the Bcab mailing list