[BCAB] OffCom and RNIB?

Andrew Hodgson andrew at hodgson.io
Fri Jun 7 10:43:24 BST 2019

Hi,

Ofcom won't do anything at all with individual complaints so contacting them won't give you anything other than a standard response of following the guides on their website.

From the 1st April 2019 there is an automatic compensation scheme that is available in some circumstances, here is a guide to this:
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automatic-compensation-need-know

There is though another route which is probably going to be more beneficial to you, that is the route of alternative dispute resolution (ADR).  Unfortunately the start of this is to submit a formal complaint via the *provider* complaints procedure which should be on the website.  You need to note this and if the fault is not fixed within an 8 week deadline then it is possible to go down the ADR path.  Unfortunately many people just contact the support channels and never submit an official complaint so this will delay the process.  Here is more info about this:
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/how-to-report-a-complaint/dispute-resolution

In terms of providers piggybacking BT's infrastructure, the difference here is the way providers handle the support queries and give information to customers.  For example one reason why Zen have such good reviews is that they go out of their way to inform customers when there is a problem, another provider that does this very well is Aaisp but these providers are usually more expensive.  I have also had good communication with Plusnet in the past but I am actually in the middle of a fairly lengthy billing issue with them to do with my parents which is dragging on for nearly a year now so that has marred my recommendation somewhat.

Like I said get onto BT and get a formal complaint lodged so you can go down the ADR process.  Also mention to them when making the complaint you are planning to go down the ADR if this is not resolved with the allotted timeframe, and milk your visual impairment if you are happy doing so.

Thanks.
Andrew.